1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutting the (cable) cord

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by goalmouth, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I live in a small'ish town (just outside of a major metro area) and Suddenlink was the best possible option. But in not touching my cable package in the four years I've lived here, my bill has slowly inched up from $160/mo to $250/mo.

Here's the thing that is truly baffling to me:
    Cable companies are being absolutely GUTTED by streaming. When I can get the same channels for half the price from Hulu/Sling/YouTube, and they are fairly transparent with rate hikes and when they're happening, cable needs to figure its shit out. But then, when I called to cut my cable, suddenly they had an amazing rate? They really need to figure out some way to offer the exact same rate to every single customer, and it needs to be the basement rate, and it needs to be competitive with these streaming services. (I know it'll vary a bit because of taxes, but the base rate for their services could be way lower.) Otherwise, they're all gonna go under.

I even got my technophobe parents to completely ditch THEIR cable after I showed them how my YouTube TV worked over the holidays. I never thought I'd see the day. I did have to have multiple FaceTime convos with my father on "how streaming works" and "where can I watch Hogan's Heroes" before they cut the cord though. I've set their TVs up with access to my Hulu account (which is just phenomenal when it comes to great classic TV shows) but that entire concept of "I can watch any episode of this TV show whenever I want" hasn't quite caught on with them yet. Baby steps.

garrow likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I could probably survive with just Discovery and NatGeo.
    I probably watch more YouTube videos than I do TV. I'd rather watch a 10-minute fishing lure or cooler review than most TV programming these days.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Timely observation for this thread ...

Wenders likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's similar to how newspapers are misrun. They're soaking their loyal customers - many of them older and won't change for any reason, even financial - for more fees for the time being. The cable outlets won't change until enough people tell them exactly where they should go.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Here’s the thing. These cable companies are still gonna soak you for high-speed Internet that you’ll need for those streaming packages. No programming costs for them because you’re paying Hulu/Disney/whomever for the programming. They love it. Cable is almost a loss-leader for them at this point.

JRoyal likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Basically word for word, same for me.

Batman likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering how painful it will be to unwind my FIOS bundle.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

YouTube TV sounds like a great deal. I'll probably go that route.

Pros and cons of YouTube vs. Hulu Live?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They're the same price. You Tube has 13 more channels.

You can get a comparison of the channels here:

All the live TV streaming services compared: Which has the best channel lineup?

I don't know what Hulu offers as a DVR service. You Tube TV has an unlimited cloud DVR that is freakin' awesome.

Slacker and Wenders like this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Our issue here - and I'd say it's the same in many places - is you have one internet provider because cable companies signed exclusive contracts with counties many years ago. Comcast/Xfinity can soak you for whatever they want.
    Our local electric company is looking at adding high speed internet as a service, and they plan to offer it for a substantially cheaper price as a public utility. I hope how soon that gets up and running.

OscarMadison, wicked and PaperDoll like this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There is also a serious race to getting high speed to the sticks. That service will overlap with the populated areas.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Our community voted for community broadband service a few years ago and the infrastructure has been going in over the past few months and some neighborhoods have it ready now. Our neighborhood is one. People are soaking it up like crazy. Maybe I need to call them and really figure it out or talk to people who have gotten it, but based on the pricing they have online (their website overall sucks, they want you to call them so they can sell you on it), I can't for the life of me figure out how it is better/cheaper than Comcast. Because it isn't on paper. I'm not defending Comcast and I think competition is good, but at baseline it's the same cost maybe even more expensive if you get all the same services -- they also offer phone and TV. I'm honestly shocked by that. I think people want to get away from the megabeast as much as saving money.

Draft saved Draft deleted