1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutting Out Caffeine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't diet soda also have some of the same effects as soda? Obviously not in the sugar content, but doesn't your body react the same way to all of the other processed crap? Jus' asking for those in the know.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, my, yes. Any carbonated drink carries some risk like that.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I actually can't drink more than one diet soda every few days or so ... my body has a strange reaction to the artificial sweetener, and my spine starts to ache. Regular soda is no problem. But yeah, I'd say the diet stuff has some similar effects, just not the calories.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/13/health/webmd/main701408.shtml

More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain

Fowler's team looked at seven to eight years of data on 1,550 Mexican-American and non-Hispanic white Americans aged 25 to 64. Of the 622 study participants who were of normal weight at the beginning of the study, about a third became overweight or obese.

For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

* 26 percent for up to 1/2 can each day

* 30.4 percent for 1/2 to one can each day

* 32.8 percent for 1 to 2 cans each day

* 47.2 percent for more than 2 cans each day.

For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

* 36.5 percent for up to 1/2 can each day

* 37.5 percent for 1/2 to one can each day

* 54.5 percent for 1 to 2 cans each day

* 57.1 percent for more than 2 cans each day.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I would question the cause-and-effect of that.

The people drinking diet soda would naturally be the ones more predisposed to obesity. That's why they're drinking diet soda.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And if these people are just leading their normal lives with that, I would imagine there was also a hefty dose of "Whopper, large fries...and a Diet Coke" syndrome. Because, you know, that makes it healthy.

7. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

OK, stupid question, but I'm too lazy to look it up: What are the health risks of caffeine? I've guzzled it forever and have no idea what it's doing to me. Do I want to know?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's saving you from Alzheimer's disease, as already noted. :)

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

A couple of yeara ago, I went two and a half days with drinking at least a gallon of water each day and eating nothing but long-sliced Italian bread to see what it would do to my body.

Needless to say I am addicted to caffeine. At the end of that 2.5 day experiment, I was so violently ill that I had to sleep it off (going to be at 4pm mind you). I had a throbbing headache, was burning up and wanted to swallow a twenty ounce bottle of razor blades.

I'm never doing that again.

Like someone above this said, caffeine is really my only vice. I'll deal with it.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Anyone know how coffee affects your sinuses? Mine have been going crazy, headache, the whole nine. Come to work, have a cup of joe and all is right with the world again. Is it the coffee, or the Ibuprofen I took?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Free Starbucks in my hotel! CAFFEINE!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted