1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutting Out Caffeine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

On my latest health kick, I've decided to cut out caffeine. Now, a co-worker and I figured tonight that I've had at least one coffee (likely two) per day since 1996, when I first started drinking it.

I also figured I've been drinking a minimum of three cups (that's quantitative, measuring cup cups) per day.

That caffeine intake doesn't include Pepsi, my other vice.

Then, 16 days ago, I cut it out. Cold turkey. On the spot. I had two coffees in those 16 days. And they were about eight days apart.

But the last three days I've had migraines — bad. My head felt like a bowling ball. It felt like it weighed 50 pounds. Even my eyes hurt. I thought I was having a stroke, heart attack, hell, I even thought I had a tumor growing in my head. I had no idea what it was.

Then, a different coworker told me about the effects of cutting out caffeine and told me to google it.

I had no idea it was that bad. I was actually suffering because of cutting out the caffeine. I read one site that said something to the effect of "blood rushes to/pools in you head after you cut out caffein."

I went and bought a coffee before the game I covered tonight. Within an hour, I felt amazing.

Caffeine is clearly a drug. Something I denied for a decade.

I have no idea how I'm going to cut it out now.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Re: Cutting Out Caffein

Not bad man, but tell us when you cut out caffeine.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on ending addictions. My father worked as an addictions nurse for several years. With that said...

I'd wean yourself off it gradually. Don't just quit cold turkey. Perhaps start by pouring half a cup of regular and half a cup of decaf in the same mug for one of your two or three cups. Gradually change that to all cups, then continue to taper down until you've eliminated most of the caffeine from your diet.

I find now that if I drink a full cup of regular coffee, I get too hyper. If I'm *having* coffee, different story.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Haha. See! It's affecting EVERYTHING I do.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Everything in moderation. If you drink coffee, stay away from soda. (works for me) THere is no way I could cut out caffeine from my routine. With my hours, I need to stay awake. But I limit it to 2 cups a night.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Here's my philosophy:
    I don't drink more than occasionally.
    I don't smoke.
    I don't do illegal drugs.
    I don't take prescription drugs.
    I don't eat a lot of fast food or junk food.
    I try not to keep sugary stuff in the house.

If my caffeine vice is my only vice, then I'm not doing too bad of a job.

Pete, I've done what you're trying to do, and it's just not worth it. I'd rather be my happy, headache-free caffeinated self than a miserable caffeine-free wretch. People who have seen me before noon can attest to this.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Caffeine is a drug indeed. If you need it, a healthier alternative with less calories may be caffeinated gum or water.

And cadet: Why no prescription drugs? I mean you probably never get sick since you eat like a professional marathoner, but sometimes you need that codine.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm not anti-prescription drugs by any means, I just have very shitty health insurance and not enough money to pay for any type of regular prescription. Unless I can see a bone or am unconscious, I try to stay away from the doctor's office.

And I don't eat like a marathoner. Key word up there was TRY. Success is another matter. Although I really do find fast food from most places is nasty.

But my point was, if caffeine is my worse offense, so be it.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Unfortunately, caffeine is only one of my weeknesses. However, it is the ONE that I refuse to give up, no matter what. I agree with Cadet, I will take the bad effects of caffeine over the caffeine-free headaches anyday.

If you really want to give it up, Pete, good luck. Try what F_T suggested, weaning yourself off slowly.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

i gave it up for lent one year and was surprised how long i lasted: 8 months. but then i started getting migraines and my doc told me to drink at least one soda a day to limit them. i did that and the headaches went away. now, am thinking about cutting it out again, but i will do it slowly.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He had a fancy doctor. The lower-level ones prescribe "drinks"

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I do try to get my caffeine from unsweetened coffee or tea instead of soda.

Draft saved Draft deleted