1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutting from the top

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by miamiheraldchick, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Interesting new trend: Firing the top editor to save money.

First contra costa, now akron.

Anyone know what happened in Akron?

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I heard they fired the top editor to save money.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You have to figure the top editor at papers that size are making a few hundred thou. I think it's ridiculous to pay an editor at a midsize that much unless he/she is the second coming of Ben Bradlee, given that in my experience I haven't seen one come in and substantially improve circ/bottom line without a major investment in expanding staff and space -- although I have seen some really screw up a product.

Miamiheraldchick, your paper cut its Broward publisher five or so years ago to save money. He was only the best newspaper person I ever met and he's gone on to some nice jobs since. I would say we are seeing an unusual amount of this now, but not without precedent.

Mizell, the new Akron editor, seems OK. They were talking about killing the sports desk a couple years ago in favor of a universal. I wrote to him telling him why I thought it was a mistake. I expected nothing, but he sent me a long, thoughtful response. We disagree, but I have to respect that he did his homework and had sought a consensus from his sports people. I have to think Akron is in caring hands.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Was Mizell the former EE at Tallahassee.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

And I thought this was going to be about stories written so badly, that when a paginator asks "this story is long, where should I cut it?" someone on the copy desk replies "anywhere after the byline" ;D

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Yes. He was left in limbo when Knight Ridder sold the paper and the chain was looking for a place to put him when Katrina hit. Mizell came to our paper after Katrina to act, in essence, as the managing editor. (Our paper eliminated the position a few years ago.) I'm a big fan of his, at least in his ability to manage a crisis. He's good people who took time to look after the staff's mental health in difficult times when we were run ragged, while continuing to help us put out good stuff.

His tumultuous senior management career continues at ABJ, though. He went there shortly before the sale of KR to McClatchy, then had to deal with the paper's sale to Conrad Black.

Count me as a supporter, and I hope things smooth out for Mizell soon.

Don Hammack
    Sun Herald

Draft saved Draft deleted