1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts in Newport News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-dailypresscuts-0114,0,5561336.story?coll=hr_tab01_layout

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ahhh, yes... vintage Tribune weathervane suit Digby Solomon, who is Digby Solomon in Virginia, and was Digby Solomon years ago in Fort Lauderdale. But, in the interim, became Digby Solomon Diez when he was at the Tribune Spanish-language rag Hoy!

You can't make the shit up.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That sucks. I hope Danville alum Jeff Patterson is one of the unaffected.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I hope he IS affected!

Ha ha just kidding, he's good people and I hope he dances around the raindrops.

5. J.C. Wolf

J.C. Wolf Member

Peaches Patterson is fine. Just talked to him tonight.

6. MoociePooh

MoociePooh New Member

Darn, will the bleeding in the newspaper industry ever stop across the country? Too bad the situation can't be reversed -- like cutting management!!

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not likely -- a good friend of mine in the business called me and told me last night that they've been told that within a month his shop is going to go through this sort of "reorganization" and there could be some "staff realignments". In other words, he and all his coworkers are getting their resumes together and trying to jump off the sinking ship before they are pushed off.

It is downright scary.

8. Moderator1

No sports cuts in Newport News, though I understand one ASE position will not be replaced. Still looking for an SE with Doug going to Atlanta and I understand one of the current ASEs is moving to news. Other ASE is running department during the SE search.

Five of the cuts were in the newsroom.

9. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

Doug is going to Atlanta? I hope it works out for him. Great guy. Atlanta should be proud.

10. Moderator1

Doug is gone to Atlanta. Couple of months ago.

11. tagline

tagline Member

Here's another one:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08016/849445-28.stm

Newspaper jobs cut in Beaver County

The Beaver County Times has laid off 10 full-time and 11 part-time employees, including some editors and circulation employees with more than 30 years of experience. The employees, notified Monday and yesterday, were told that the paper's circulation was declining and that the layoffs were necessary to "keep the newspaper viable." The Times, which is owned by Calkins Media of Levittown, Bucks County, also operates the Ellwood City Ledger and the Allegheny Times.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cutting staff and resources = staying viable.

I love this fucking corporate speak.

May the beancounters rot in hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted