1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts in Lynchburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 8, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

All:

We are reducing the size of the Lynchburg/Amherst/Nelson news staff by a total of three positions. This is part of a cost-saving effort going on not only throughout Media General but also throughout the newspaper industry.

The three positions include: 1) a frozen copy editor job that we have not been able to fill since last year; 2) another copy editor position, which we will not be able to fill; and 3) one reporter job at the Amherst-Nelson papers (that person has already been notified.) We also will not have a summer intern.

This will obviously require some reorganization over the next weeks and months. I welcome any suggestions you have on what we should do.

We will be talking specifically about what we can do to help out the Amherst-Nelson papers, especially with government coverage and features; and we cannot function without someone in the spot on the copy desk, so we will be working on a reorganization plan to fill that spot from within our existing staff. We will need to get something figured out to help out Amherst in the next couple of weeks. Caroline, Aaron and I have some ideas but want your input before deciding anything.

I know you are all aware that fewer people are reading newspapers these days and that is reflected in declining circulation and advertising revenues throughout the industry.

We also are trimming our freelance, syndicated, and mileage budgets.

I'll spare you any sappy commentary other than to say we have a great staff, the best since I've been here, and that we all need to work together even more closely than we already do as we move forward.

I will be answering questions about this today after the 4 p.m. budget meeting, and Monday morning at the reporters' meeting, and any other time you want to talk to me as time allows.

Thanks in advance to everyone for helping make this work out, and for all your good work all the time!

Joe

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I hope the writers there are clean, cos they'll be pretty much railroaded into the paper apparently. Eek!

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

If MGs cutting people loose from Lynchburg, then it's probably happening even worse at their other papers ... heard anything on this Moddy?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Mother effer. I just hope it stops here. There are some damn fine people working in Lynchburg. Good luck to you all.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yeah ... Lynchburg was considered the stepping stone to get to Richmond (unlike Winston-Salem, which won't even look at talent from any of the NC MG community papers, even if it blew away every other candidate they were looking at) ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm at one of the smaller MG shops and for the first time I'm starting to worry a little about possible cuts here. We're a small paper and I can't think of anyone here that is expendable, but Lynchburg was about the last place I expected Media General to do this.

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

Wow, the flagship paper of the MG community chain is starting to cut back. That's big news. I wonder if it will continue sending writers on the road with VT and U.Va.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

They also travel with Liberty football and some basketball.

9. Keystone

Keystone Member

I suspect it would continue following the Flames.

It will likely be a first in the sports department to hear "why don't we let the T-D or the AP cover that U.Va. road game." I know I was on the end of that statement several times during my MG days.

Draft saved Draft deleted