1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts in Louisville today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jul 9, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"Job cuts coming down today at Courier-Journal. Feel very bad for all my friends there."

ESPN.com's Pat Forde just posted this on his twitter.com feed -- anyone know details or how significant the cuts are?

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

It's happening throughout Gannett on GD-day.... that's either Gannett's D-Day or well, think of other GD phrases.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fuck Gannett.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Looks like sports will be missed this time in Louisville, though there are still some cuts in the news room.

5. I've heard sports was spared, and unlike the Cincy entertainment pub, the C-J's staff is safe, for now. Ben Post, the No. 2 in the newsroom, I believe, was the biggest name on the list. I've heard the C-J has a ton of middle managers, which was supposedly where most of the cuts would be.

Not sure about the desk, but it appears the only noticeable cutbacks in sports recently have been with small college coverage, and perhaps Southern Indiana preps. They get most of their IU stuff from the Indy Star.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Wow. Ben has been there forever, and was getting ready to retire. So hopefully that's what this was. I'd hate to think he was booted after 30-plus years at the CJ. Great guy.

7. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Very sad thing. I loved reading the C-J when I was living in Louisville...

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So is Gannett now hitting the assistant SE types? They realize they now have to start hitting the higher-ups as well? Pretty much these newspapers only have their MAJOR beat guys left? And one columnist?
    When is Gannett going all web? You know it's been discussed in detail. Certainly that is the goal. But when?

Draft saved Draft deleted