1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts in Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From Idaho Falls, no more Monday edition.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003941774

From Twin Falls, three laid off from Ag Weekly, which is a agriculture publication. This didn't affect the Times-News. Even though they are in the same building, they are considered separate entities so it won't save anybody in the main newsroom. Also, the Times-News didn't report this at all.

http://www.agweekly.com/articles/2009/02/16/news/opinion/opin02.txt

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

In related (sort of) from the Spud State:

http://www.2news.tv/news/local/39695842.html

Idaho newspapers forced to cutback even more

BOISE - Declining revenue, a rocky economy and with more ways to access information traditional newspapers are finding it hard to stay on top.

Computers, cell phones and television - when it comes to getting news people have a lot choices.

"I definitely get it from the Internet," said Carrie Miller, a Boise resident.

That's one reason the publisher of the Idaho Falls Post Register says they're not going to print Monday newspaper editions starting next month in order to help cut costs.

"I have subscribed to a newspaper in the past and I found that I wasn't reading it fast enough," Miller said.

Earlier this month The McClatchy Company, owner of the Idaho Statesman, said a rough economy continues hampering business, forcing the paper to cut even more expenses.

While Vicki Gowler, Editor and Vice President of the paper, did not want to comment on any specifics yet concerning the papers cutback plan, she did say: "It's been really hard on the staff."

Gowler says by the end of this week they will submit their plan to McClatchy.

This will be the third time in less than a year the Statesman has laid off some of its staff. Last June, the paper cut 16 jobs and then another 15 last fall.

When asked if more layoffs for the paper will happen, Gowler said there is potential. How many people could lose their job she did not know.

But she says the paper remains Idaho's largest and on-line, they continue to be the number one news source.

"I think it would be a major loss to not have a paper that's out there anymore," said Jane Reed, a Boise resident who subscribes to the Statesman.

While many people may be looking to the computer for their news, some argue there's something to be said for a little black ink and a printing press.

Starting next month, as a way to cut down on publishing costs and get in-line with industry standards, the Statesman will be printed from the same press as the Idaho Press Tribune in Nampa.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Ack!
    As a good friend of some pressmen, and I'm sure we all know a few, this news scared them the most.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That was announced during the September layoffs. It's not the only McClatchy paper setting up a similar printing situation.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I see the size of some papers these days, it's amazing they don't blow away on doorsteps. I understand papers need to establish a metric for newspace compared to ads. But if I were an advertiser and saw how quickly a reader can get through a paper I'd be pissed. Saw a paper with THREE pages of classifieds. Three.

Draft saved Draft deleted