1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts coming to McClatchy papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That ship has sailed. Worked in one place where an editor was not in the state.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I assume you are being ironic, true?

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Does that mean there will be layoffs in that company?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't think so (at least not related to this). Like an airline overbooking, they offered 450, not expecting to get anywhere near that number. CEO's email sounded mighty pleased (maybe they got more than they expected).

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yes, of course.

Fran Curci likes this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think eventually that community papers will be replaced by regional newspapers. If print revenues and circulation continue to drop five percent or more a year it is only a question of time.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I’m at the tail end of my career. And I’m glad.

maumann likes this.
  8. @CWrightSDS

@CWrightSDS Member

Zero complaints about my salary at The N&O. If they go standalone SE in Raleigh, that position presumably would fall between what Steve and I made. Guessing closer to mine, but still very fair.

If they hire one person to oversee both staffs without assistance, it's going to be a disaster and they should apologize to the writers who didn't leave for other opportunities. One person could do it, they just couldn't do it justice. If they go that route, they've given up, however optimistic the announcement might sound.

Not sure what you mean by a combined section online. It's McClatchy. The sites largely look identical. All of the content already is available online for anybody who wants more of what the other is doing.

Raleigh could add separate "Panthers" and "Hornets" tabs to help make navigation easier, but Raleigh folks don't really care about either team. (Grew up there, spent close to 30 years there; lot of people who move to the Triangle do so from the north and are fans of those NFL teams. They're NFL fans, sure, but they don't adopt the Panthers, who are 3 hours away.) I suppose Charlotte could add "UNC," "NC State" and "Duke" tabs, rather than just a "College" tab, but the ACC stuff still populates the Observer's website.

maumann likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The great Clark Spencer took the buyout from the Miami Herald. What a total freakin' pro. Loved working with that guy.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

11. @CWrightSDS

@CWrightSDS Member

Clark likely contributed to some Derby stories, I don't specifically recall, but he was not the reporter who interviewed the jockey.
    Wow. That Ma Herald class picture of 2004 - my last year there - gets emptier and emptier by the day.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Clark was partly in the story but it was Frank Carlson who interviewed Jose Santos. To say a lot went on that weekend would be an understatement. I was the Sunday SE and we ran an entire page of letters to the editor about it. IIRC we got more than 200 emails and hard letters.

Draft saved Draft deleted