1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts coming to McClatchy papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Aug 21, 2018.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And most will likely be replaced by reporters with a combined one year of experience (probably less) ... :D

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Will they be replaced? Or will staff have to do more with less?

3. LanceyHoward

If McClatchy pulls this off it will be one hell of a trick, McClatchy has a market cap of $44 million dollars and at the end of the third quarter had about 1.4 billion dollars in long term debt.

Maybe Patrick Soon-Siong from the LA Times will assist. If he does he will wind up with control of the company. It would make an immense amount of sense for Soon-Siong to buy the Tribune company and he already owns a substantial stake in the company. I still don't see why anyone wants to go near all that McClatchy debt.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He really is. I was doing their section for about six months last year, and he always not only got the key plays from an event, but filed them extremely quickly.

I don't think it's that high. Last I heard it was about $794 million, and that was from an article dated last September.

5. LanceyHoward

I need to be more careful in how I write things. According to the 9/30/2018 balance sheet on Yahoo long term debt was 744 million. Other long term liabilities of 653 million were also reported. I have not had time to go through the footnotes but that is frequently a pension liability.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

More on the McClatchy buyouts from the North Carolina papers (at least on the sports side):

Raleigh/Durham sports editor Steve Ruinsky and ace photographer Chuck Liddy
    Charlotte sports editor Mike Persinger AND assistant sports editor Harry Pickett

Last day for all is Feb. 28

7. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Holy bejezeus that’s like the entire hierarchy in the triangle going bye-bye.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OUCH!

9. The Observer sports department now has six people.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Terrible day for journalism in North Carolina.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I wonder if Charlotte and Raleigh will hire one sports editor for both. Seems inevitable (unless they go to no sports editor with "self-directed" reporters).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The editors taking the buyouts tells us all we need to know about that parent company. Not to be flippant as those editors I'm sure are fine people, but i envision the captains hopping off the boat as it is sinking. I mean the Charlotte sports editor and assistant SE take the buyouts? They obviously think the boat has a major leak. Best wishes to all. I don't mean to act like I'm not sympathetic. Just the fact these guys took the buyouts tells me they are not "suits."

Draft saved Draft deleted