1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts at the Washington Times?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Glad we can chuckle so when colleagues are packing up their shit and heading out.
    Not trying to be an ass, I know no one here is malicious. I'm just very bummed about Jon Siegel.
    Fuckin' business.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry Moddy. I think you know as well as I do that I'm certainly not getting any satisfaction out of people losing their jobs.

I was just trying to make a cheap crack about the Moonies. My sincere apologies.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Naw, like I said, I know no one's being malicious. And, hell, the jobs don't come back if we don't laugh.
    I'm just bummed.

4. VJ

VJ Member

This news aside, working for the Moonies the last 2-3 years has been a lot safer than Gannett, Tribune, KnightRidder or MediaNews.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What he said.

Having once lost my job, I'm the last person to crack wise at someone losing theirs... except a certain sanctimonious Washington bureau chief for the NY Times who used to run a large, West Coast paper ... who shall go unnamed.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We'll see more of this in the coming years: Papers and electronic news operations whose owners don't care about profit, only putting out a certain ideological bent. See Scaife, Richard; Murdoch, Rupert; and possibly Robertson, Pat.

Might be a bad thing in terms of thorough, balanced journalism. Might be an OK thing in terms of job preservation.

7. VJ

VJ Member

Murdoch doesn't care about profit? ???

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not at his newspapers. NY Post loses $40 million a year. Seen any massive job cuts there?

9. The craziest day he ever lived, Hearst wasn't as crazy, or as dangerous, as the Reverend Moon.
    If he lost ALL of his media properties, and got thrown into SuperMax for about 30 years, we would be better as a nation.

Draft saved Draft deleted