1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutline on front page of ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, May 3, 2008.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I love this.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, a guy on our news desk ran a 6x9 mugshot of a Florida panther (the animal, not the hockey player) and the nameline "F. Panther" ... sadly, no one even batted an eye.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If an animal gets arrested, is it OK to run the mug shot then? Wonder what The Smoking Gun would do.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I had a sports editor run a mug shot of the Newfie that won the big dog show. That was awesome.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I saw a photo that had the Florida Marlins mascot (I forget his name) hanging out with some Disney characters. The caption said, "(Mascot's name), shown dancing with Mickey Mouse, helped celebrate the Marlins' World Series championship."

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I went brain dead one night doing our wires compilation. Put a horse story in there forgetting the standing head on the column was "People in Sports"

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I've been doing that for years. I look for any opportunity to run animal mugs. At my last shop, we ran a "column" by Smarty Jones (from a bigger paper in the chain) prior to the Belmont and I ran SJ's column sig with it. Ran a mug of a killer whale a little while back.

Draft saved Draft deleted