1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutline currently on Sun-Times Web site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Feb 13, 2009.

1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Chicago Bulls general manager John Paxon speaks during a September news conference.
    (AP)

2. VJ

VJ Member

I guess all the unemployed journalists on this board are now finding mistakes on Chicago sports websites for a living. Awesome.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Or, the reason for the mistakes is all the unemployed journalists. There is no one left to proof this shit or fact check.

4. VJ

VJ Member

Also true. Just saying it isn't necessary to point out every typo in a Sun-Times cutline or a Tribune headline.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Fuck yeah it is. Show them they can take that "More with less" shit and shove it up their asses.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Second that. Management wants to pretend there is no quality cost to the massive cutbacks they're enforcing, and that's just their latest lie.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I hate to tell you, R (and now Joe) ... anybody outside of editorial and in corporate at any of these places isn't going to give two shits about the diminishing quality of the product that's resulting from their cutbacks, and certainly not a typo in a cutline. Extremely sad, but very true.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Because we all know publishers are scouring this board...

9. Joe Williams

Well, then I'll go with this:

Let's all try not to make mistakes, even though the uber-bosses don't care and the newsroom bosses don't care enough to spell out (hopefully without typos) to them precisely what the cuts are causing.

If the product is turning into crap, it is somebody's job to make that shit flow upstream.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If you guys had gone this morning to the newspaper website I help run, you'd have seen in one article where a guy'd been arrested for pubic intoxication.

I had no idea such a thing was possible.

I also know not to pick on people for such mistakes, because the only folks who catch hell over it are the rank-and-file like me who make the gaffe.

Also, karma's a motherfucker.

11. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

I posted this not to pick on anyone, but that so someone in the S-T sports department -- perhaps who was reading this site -- could notify the Web department, which might have no clue who John Paxson is.

12. Joe Williams

Paxson works with Derrek Rose, right? :-*

Draft saved Draft deleted