1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutbacks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Jun 20, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm sorry you lost your job.

As others have said, file for unemployment. In the meantime, try to get some freelance work and apply, apply, apply.

Good luck.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Yeah, I left the biz for more than a year...I was on the verge of getting canned. After I decided to get back in the newspaper business, it took me about a month to get a job -- making more than my old job (and then I got offered a job at another paper and called in for an interview at a third paper while I was moving). Since I got back in the business, I've worked steady for damn near 10 years, always moving up to better jobs with better pay.
    If you work hard and are halfway decent, you can move up.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

it ain't over. trust me.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I knew Sun Media was having some financial problems, but I thought they were going to try to deal with it by dumping and closing some of the smaller papers, not with intense cuts at the big dailies. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you Flash, and further, I think that's a bleak statement considering Sun Media's strong hold on a lot of Canadian papers.

From my own job hunt, I do know that there's a lot of opportunity in the smaller dailies and weeklies in Alberta, so you could probably pick something up. I'm just not sure if that turnover is because people aren't making enough to live on considering the economy out there.

Basically though, you have some decent clips and presumably some good references, so just get back on your horse again and see what you can do... know that it's them, not you.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Five years ago, my union shop decided to bring in a firm to "optimize" its inner workings. I was a classified as a special editor; the highest rung on the food chain, but I was lowest in seniority.
    The company optimized the copy desk out of existence, cut about 10 other positions and created a presentation desk. Since I was in a higher classification, I could bump anyone with lower seniority in a lower position. they "cut" a special editor position, but was able to bump into a presentation position since I had seniority.
    I was also on a recall list for the next available special editor position, which I returned to in nine months.
    In other words, my job was cut and I was able to stay on in another position

6. Flash

Flash Guest

The drinks are not going down so well. Matter of fact, I'm feeling sick to my stomach instead.

One PM asked that I reveal what it is I do in case anyone is able to help.
    I write. Sports. Happen to think I'm pretty good at it, too.
    I've been a copy editor for the last three years (with some writing duties) and the best skill I had to offer was the ability to stone pages and rewrite some of the mangled messes that our company writers filed as stories. (Does that sound bitter?)

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That sucks quite a bit. I don't know how big of a paper you were working at, but remember - if you are willing to move to America - there are plenty of mid-size papers with openings in the States. It is OK to be bitter, we all have been with an old shop, but hopefully you can get your resume out and feel better about things in the next couple of weeks.
    And I would reiterate (sp.?) what others said about unenployment. It is kind of embarassing, but it is steady income and something you shouldn't pass up, especially because - at least in the US - your former employer has to pay for part of it. So you can stick it to them by claiming unemployment.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm sorry to hear about the raw deal you got. I'd just consider it an unexpected opportunity. I'm sure you'll find something if you have an open mind and are willing to relocate. That moving thing is often the big catch. But there's no doubt that you'll have no problem staying in the business. There are lots of jobs out there.

Just remember that, if you decide to move to the United States, you'll need to accept that your calls may be monitored, and I'm not talking about for quality assurance purposes.

Also, you'll need to learn Spanish. Contrary to what Bush thinks, it's the language of the future here.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Bueno, chistoso!

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Je parle un peu francais ... no good that is.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Moi aussi, and it does absolutely no good in the U.S., unless you're a hockey writer.

(and the hockey team in our market is now in a league almost 100% comprised of U.S.-born players).

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Flasher,

I hope you had a good drunk last night, and are able to wake up with a clear head to figure out what you're gonna do next.

Good luck. Fuck your company. Don't burn bridges. And something will come up. It always does.

And if you feel like getting wasted and bemoaning your lot, I've got a couple vacation days I need to decide when to use before the end of September.

Draft saved Draft deleted