1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutbacks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, one of the bigwigs has decided he wants to meddle in the newspaper holdings of Quebecor and try to make things successful. That means more with less. Much less. I really don't know how my guys are going to do it come hockey season. They're all going to be so burned out. I feel so bad for them.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No one gloats over something like this.

Call everyone you know, and keep your head up.

What we do around here is just for fun, although sometimes it doesn't feel that way. Forget about this junk, and take care of yourself. Good luck.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That's horrible. My advice to you is to get very drunk tonight. Then, tomorrow morning, file for unemployment and start working every professional contact you have and your contacts have. The key is to get your name out there to anybody who is hiring. And at least you'll have a check coming in. And whatever you do, don't burn bridges, as tempting as it would be.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. No, I don't think "once you're out..." is true. Quite the contrary - I think most people in journalism have faced this as some point. You will find another job, and I hope it happens soon.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My advice is to begin drinking heavily.

Oh, and file for the unemployment right away. As someone else said, it might not seem like you need it now, but you don't want to HAVE to take the first thing that comes up.

Best of luck.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Flash:

I'm sorry to hear about this. No, you do not have to leave the business; most of us have left jobs involuntarily at one time or another. All the advice you've heard so far is right--file for unemployment, get your resume together, and network. And tonight, drink heavily.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

T-minus 47 minutes to my first drink.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No, it's not true.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Flash, I've been out of the business twice, both times more than a year and a half long. Had no problem getting back into the game.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

damn. hang in there, man. i left the business semi-involuntarily and yada yada yada...i just finished my second year of law school. but it took a long time to reach the conclusion that i wasn't getting back in the business.

have fun getting hammered tonight. it's OK to feel sorry for yourself for a few days. although it hurts now, give it a few weeks before doing anything rash like applying for law school. you'll spend some time seeing what's out there.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

In the last six years ...

I worked at a paper for 1 1/2 years
    Left the business for 6 months
    Returned to said paper for 8 months
    Left the business again, but happened into a new job within two weeks
    Worked at the new paper for 10 months
    Worked at still another paper for 2 years
    Returned to said paper for thrid time; been here 8 months now

I currently have a better title and am making more money than I ever have. This is a business where you can jump around, in and out and still succeed. Hang in there, you'll find something else.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

By the way, thank you all for the words of encouragement -- on the thread and via PMs. It's times like these that remind me of the benefits of these boards.

Draft saved Draft deleted