1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Customer service the way it should be: AmEx

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 20, 2009.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I swear, American Express is by far my favorite company to deal with when it comes to questions and such on my account.

Yeah, I pay a small fortune for the card, but I have called numerous times about issues big and small and every time, the representative has been attentive, polite and helpful.

I always hang up thinking, "Yeah, I'm keeping that card."

In a world full of lousy customer service, theirs is first rate.

Any other good experiences?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I feel better when I fill my car up with BP Gas. The people are so nice and cheery.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I know others have had bad experiences, but I've always found Comcast to be first rate. Maybe it's just this office, but they are extremely aggressive in making things right.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I've had similarly good experiences with Comcast, too. Maybe we're the only ones.

I recently had an excellent experience with Alamo, another company that gets a lot of bad reviews. I had a rental that was a debacle from start to after the finish (short version -- they accidentally did another customer's rental under my reservation, and the other guy damaged the car he rented) and their customer service took care of the mess quickly and fairly.

Oh, and my insurance company has actual live humans answer the phone. No menus, pressing seven, etc.

5. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I hate Amex with a passion. I almost lost my mortgage because of their inane security rules. It took my wife three days to get a card removed from her credit report that wasn't hers. Their representatives were extremely rude and unhelpful. All they did was follow rules that made no sense whatsoever -- wouldn't FedEx to an office building. Wouldn't accept oral or written authorizations unless both she and her mother were on the phone at the same time (the card was her mother's card). It was an absolute nightmare. They are nice enough as long as things fit into their simple processes but as soon as something gets difficult they put up a wall and are completely incompetent. I absolutely HATE Amex.

Discover sucks too but for different reasons. At least with Visa, you know that don't give a damn and don't pretend that they do. Amex is a bunch of phonies.

6. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Most customer service at large megacompanies is shit because they treat their employees like shit.

On every opportunity possible, I'll shop with the little guy....the hardware place on the corner vs. Home Despot, for example. Or the local Shackaburger rather than MakkieDees.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've been using Amex for 20 years for business expenses and always had great service. Plus you get Hertz Gold service for free if you use the Costco Amex (1% back in choice of cash or Costco credit).

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Superb customer service: Comcast and Wachovia.

Sony about soured me, then I was lucky enough to get one person who both knew the company and his products and put away the cliches, idiocy and reading off the screen. Saved the company's image in my eyes, especially considering their exceptionally lousy service in trying to repair or replace my TV.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Echo

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I echo the Wachovia statement. Them are solid.

RB

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wachovia was my first credit card. It had a $300 limit, I never maxed it out, and the bank machine I used for the first-ever cash advance I tried on it captured it.

Wuck Fachovia.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What does her mother being on the phone solve? Anyone could pretend to be her mother over the phone. How stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted