1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Custom-made shirts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If I spend $150 a shirt for two or three shirts, I'd have to have them retailored every couple of weeks because I couldn't afford to eat.

2. Mira

Mira Member

There is nothing wrong with paying for good quality. I've never bought tailored shirts, but if they fit beautifully and you feel good wearing them, they're worth it.

Allen-Edmonds shoes last for decades. That's why they cost $200 or more. Totally worth every penny. I bought a pair of Tod's (Italian) loafers and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Just personal preference, but I like a loose, blousey fit because that is traditionally American -- Brooks Brothers didn't start offering a "slim fit" until maybe 10 years ago. So I wouldn't buy custom-made even if I could afford them, just because there would be little point.

Financially, it's not necessarily a vanity purchase because better fabric lasts longer. I can't remember whether it's Brooks Brothers or Land's End that was advertising their shirts lasted at least 50 washes before fraying. I read a few years ago where a custom shirtmaker in NYC named Alex Kabbaz who was saying his shirts last at least 150 washings, and I think he is being straight with that audience.

Boom's advice is probably good. I haven't tried their custom shirts, but generally I find Land's End to be very good value on dress shirts, although not really on much else. I'll be wearing one tomorrow.

Agree with Mira on Allen-Edmonds -- it's mostly what I wear. If you know how to take care of shoes, these can outlive you because you can get them resoled, unlike glued-together crap. In the long run, a $325 pair of shoes that last you for life is a better deal than $90 shoes that last a couple years. The other thing about A-E is that there is no breaking-in period -- they are comfortable on the first day. And most of their styles are timeless, and the vast majority are made in USA.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bingo.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Brooks Brothers shirts seem to be made well, but no matter what size I get, I seem to be swimming in them, especially around the waist and back. When I try to go way down in size, then the shoulders and sleeves are way too small. Or the neck. This was even the case with their "slim fit" shirts. They still were somewhat formless. This was actually a big reason why I started thinking about custom-made shirts: If the most respected brand in America doesn't fit me, then all hope is lost for off the rack.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My work "uniform" is usually a long-sleeved Polo buttondown shirt, that I usually pay between $30-$40 for at the Polo outlet and khakis. Most of the ones I have are 3-4 years old and they look like they're new. I have ones I wore in college that still look like they're practically new.

7. Mira

Mira Member

Wanted to chime in on Land's End. Their higher end cashmere line is sublime for the price point. (two-ply Mongolian, if I'm not mistaken). J. Crew and Banana Republic can't do as good of job with cashmere as LE does at the same price point.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Don't know if it's been asked but could you just buy a decent shirt (30-40 dollars) and have it tailored? Seems like that would work.

I use a tailoring belt under my uniforms to help with them coming untucked.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I've definitely done that before, particularly with casual shirts so that I don't look like Hobo Willie.

I'm curious about whether there is a huge difference between a custom-made shirt and an off-the-rack shirt that is tailored. Maybe I will get a couple of both and judge for myself.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That would be my question too. Good luck.

I just hope you don't get any stains on the custom made ones!

As far as that goes, love some Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. Got tree sap and other greasy type stains out of my umpire pants last season.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

have you checked out this place?

http://www.deoveritas.com/

Its a Russian company, but I have heard very good reviews about their MTM/custom shirt experience. Free shipping, 100% money back guarantee and only $85.00 a shirt.

As for the quality of OTR shirts I don't mind Polo (Ralph has kept his quality at a decent level, even if it is made overseas) and try to stay away from Jos A. Bank, Mens Wearhouse and other similar made in China garbage.

Brooks Bros must-iron shirts are made in the USA and you get years of life out of them. And if you go now, they are on big discount for the winter clearance and if you get a Brooks card, they are even a better buy --about $50 a shirt. (Don't forget Brooks now has Trad Fit, Slim Fit and Regular Fit in between the two)

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For me it it is Johnston & Murphy's. Maybe not quite that much money -- I think you can find the style I buy for a bit less than $200. But I have bought three pairs of the same Oxfords from them. I am a real creature of habit. Hand made shoes, and you can tell the difference. First pair, which admittedly I didn't wear every day for a while, has lasted close to 10 years. I still have them. No resoling or fixing. Still look good, maybe a bit more worn than my newer pairs -- although the sole has amazingly held up just fine. Amazing how they have held up. Second pair I have had for a few years. They still look as good as the day I bought them. Occasionally I have to use that shoe dye for soles on the edges of the wood on the side, but other than that, an occasional shine is all they have needed. I bought another pair a few months ago. They are still sitting in the box. I figured I'd have an older pair I can knock around more, the newer pair I am wearing pretty much every day right now, and the brand new pair I can break out for special things -- they even go with a tuxedo, for example, because you can shine them up till they sparkle.

I agree with what Frank_Ridgeway said. You can buy a pair of $50 or $75 Oxfords that sort of look the same. I have done it. But they are cheap shoes that wear through quickly and you can definitely feel the difference on your feet. My better pair of Johnston & Murphy's -- and it is not like they are even Allen Edmonds in price -- are comfortable as all hell and they last and last and last. You make out better in the long run, look better and your feet are happier.

Draft saved Draft deleted