1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curt Schilling contemplating run at Ted Kennedy's vacant senate seat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He was referencing Gator's post, which was probably done in jest, but I've seen enough.

Listen, I've got no beef with the Steelers, I'm a Packers fan who has no historical reason for disliking the franchise. Moreover, I love the city of Pittsburgh, it's one of my favorite places.

But for the love of God, it never ends with these people. To be fair, Packers fans can be like this too, but I don't know, we're different about it in some way.

For example, a Packers fan might, I don't know, do something silly like include an overly-earnest "Lord, hear our prayer" during a Catholic mass so God will watch over Brett Favre as he ponders his life decision. Or name a street after an obsurcantist Packer like Harlan Huckleby. Or Krylon up some "Go! Pack! Go!" graffitti on a dead deer they shupted in Shawano. Packer fandom is rooted in mostly innocent, harmless, victimless stuff.

Lots and lots of Steelers fans, on the other hand, see the world through this idiotic black-and-gold prism. Relating the Steelers to just stupid-ass outlandish shit.

I could totally see the health care debate framed in this way, somehow relating it all through the prism of Ben Roethlisberger's foot injury. Democratic Steeler fans would claim that universal health care and the public option would be enough to help the Steelers go 15-1 instead of 14-2.

GOP Steelers fans would claim that the mounting costs of public health care and lack of doctor choice would eventually compel Roethlisberger to miss time and the Steelers would go 13-3 instead of 14-2.

I think there are no limits to this for Steelers fans. Afghanistan problem? Shit, send over Jack Lambert, he'll scare those Taliban baddies with one toothless frown. Global warning? Fuck, Bill Cowher's mustache creates enough photosynthesis in one day to provide the ozone layer for a calendar year. The moon landing? It didn't happen until Chuck Noll was hired and made the country tough enough to "go for it".

Worse, like Red Sox fans in baseball, they seem to think the world cares about they care up about to the same degree they do.

As if one Massachusetts voter is going to think, "Hmm. This Schilling guy is a self-aggrandizing asshole, but the real reason I'm not going to vote for him, is that he thinks Louis Lipps sinks ships."

Just STFU already!

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You do realize that you turned one silly comment into a Steelersjack, right?

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Personally, I'd rather send Rocky Bleier to the Middle East.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. BYH

BYH Active Member

SonofaBITCH you beat me to the Rocky Bleier comment!!!

OOP, what was the name of that made-for-TV Bleier movie from the late 70s? I remember seeing it a couple times at six or seven years old. You probably have the DVD with extra special features. :D

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This is freaking awesome. And Hemingway wishes he wrote anything as cool as that Louis Lipps line.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Oooooh I remember seeing "Fighting Back" sometime in the late 80's. You know, it's only Robert Urich's 11th best acting job!!! :D

[​IMG]

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Nobody's worse than Red Sox fans.

It really has to be seen in its natural habitat to be believed.

8. Bubbler

To be fair, it beats the hell out of pondering Curt Schilling for Congress.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Technically, I believe he is a registered Independent. He obviously leans right, but for sake of accuracy which won't come via HuffPost.

I'm interested in what he may bring to the table. And at the very least you won't have to worry about knowing where he stands on any issue.
    I've always said, I would vote for a Dennis Kucinich type candidate a thousand times over before I would vote for a wishy-washy candidate. I want to know what the guy or gal I vote for stands for. Even if I don't agree with it all, at least I will know what I'm getting.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know. He tends to change his tune once he gets to DC.

11. Bubbler

I get the impression that Schilling would monumentally, epically suck at anything other than pitching a baseball or appearing on a radio talk show.

The last thing we need as a nation is Schilling waxing stupid about tax code in the halls of Congress. Suck my left ball and then go blog about it, Schilling.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Now is it waxing stupid because you disagree with his view? In that case any Republican, or conservative Indy or Dem, would be waxing stupid in your eyes - no? So is it that it's Schilling or that it's a conservative voice?

Draft saved Draft deleted