1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cursing in the newsroom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Jun 2, 2007.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The first stop I was at, a really small weekly, had an associate publisher who was in charge of all the advertising - sales, design, you name it. Anyway, this guy was notorious for his long strings of as many shits, fucks, and other words you can get into as well as firing discs, folders, whatever all across the room.

Anyway, he went to an XXX-rated hypnotist's performance this one day, and he gets excited and goes into a similar, graphic description of what he saw with all those choice words. His office, I might add, is right behind the reception desk at front. So anyway, his back is turned as he's going on this big rant about fucking penises and whatever else.

No kidding, a nun who is very well known in the community was in for an interview or to drop off classified advertising. Our editor just non-chalantly walked up to him with a little grin on his face, tapped him on the shoulder... "Mr. Publisher, do you know who that is behind you?" He went on with something like, "fuck if I care", only to be told, "that was sister so-in-so, at least before she left."

Good times. My current place is far too quiet. There's barely any discussion here without the publisher giving you the evil eye, let alone the occasional f-bombs we stil want to sneak in now and then.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

There are times when it's absolutely necessary to ask people to quiet down. But, overall, if you can't work in a loud newsroom, you can't work in a newsroom.

3. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

A couple of nights ago my SE started talking about this asain baseball player who is going to be the 'next big free agent' because teams won't have to pay his old team to sign him. Anyway the guy's last name was fukudome. So yeah, Fuck-u mania was running wild.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I try not to cuss, period, so very rarely will anyone ever hear me do so in the newsroom. Just not me.

5. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

My old crew was told once by the ME that a copy editor thought we sounded like we belonged in a locker room. We were told to tone it down a notch. I tried, but it went something like this....

Mother effin FUCKER!

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I tend to curse a lot, but in the sports department, it's kind of a given. A couple of years back, they were rearranging the newsroom and they ended up moving a clerk into the sports area. Well, a few days into it, she reported me to the Executive Editor for cursing. The response the EE gave her was priceless: "It's a newsroom, what do you expect to hear? Golly gees and gosh darnits?"

Anyway, tonight at work, a co-worker on the copy desk told me I curse a lot (not too much, just a lot). I told her that I had Tourette's. :)

Then I came up with a T-shirt or bumper sticker idea:

"I have Tourette's. Go fuck yourself."

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

Fuck her, she sucks ...

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Kinda wish I was counting how many times my SE cused in the last 15 minutes or so. Had to be near triple digits. Happens every night, though.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

These fuckers dont like working in a loud and curse-filled newsroom, they outta go apply to be greeters are Goddam Wal-Mart. Want me to talk like a Harvard banker? Fuckin' pay me like one.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't imagine a newsroom where cussing wasn't allowed. But then my place is pretty lax. Short of doing lines off a 400-pound hooker, not much is going to get a second look here.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you get one day a year with your dog in the office, then it's cute ... after that, curse him, the dog and milkfuckingbone. those draggin'-their-dog-to-work cocksuckers are the worst mother fuckers to walk through the door.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ohhh, and Pookie needed his fucking crack.

Draft saved Draft deleted