1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cursed by office geography

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jumboland, Jul 3, 2006.

1. jumboland

jumboland New Member

I was actually contemplating Barry White or something along those lines....

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not saying to ask to do the horizontal hustle right there, but if you talk to people socially in the course of your job (whether you've been there a week or 10 years), then talk to these people socially. Hell, you're still learning your way around. Use that as your excuse.

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

My old college paper was basically a sex den. Some gross, gross stories there.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the newer employees here feels no hesitation about hitting on female employees (or customers). For that matter, he didn't at his former newspaper, either.

Somebody ought to tell him to straighten out. Unfortunately, he's the publisher. ::)

P.S. He's the publisher here because he was fired at his previous paper. Something about harassment charges. :eek: :eek:

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

A good friend of mine from college was recently hired at my shop. The usual desk for his beat is currently occupied by a female intern, so when the news editor asked me if he should move the intern and put my boy there I declined.
    I like the guy, but he's just fine across the room. She has boobs. 'Nuff said.

6. jumboland

jumboland New Member

Thanks alley, both of your posts brought up good points.  I don't interact with them in the course of working, but there's nothing mack-y or unnecessarily forward about just talking when I run into them in the hall or whatever, and yes, my new-ness is a good excuse.  

Jeez, it's not like I'm terrified of them, I was just bemoaning the fact that the office is arranged such that any attmpt to talk to them while they're at their desk is so public it's like being on stage in front of everyone else.

And thanks, Starman, for bringing up the fact that macking at work doesn't necessarily make you a big stud...it can easily make you unemployed if you make some bad choices. I don't mind drooling over women in my mind or on an anonymous message board, but I was raised to think that a guy who's constantly pushing women's boundaries is an asshole. Having a dick makes you male, knowing when to keep it in your pants (literally or metaphorically) is one of the things that makes you a man.

Anyway, I wasn't wanting this to be a Help Shy Jumbo Score Fresh Young Tail thread.  I was thinking more along the lines of office geoography stories.  So far we have cursing copy editor, phone-sex obits lady and a link to an old shit-smell discussion.  Not bad, I suppose.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My office is not located in Miami. Does that qualify?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well if it's a non-sex-related issue, then I've got two.

One is a former business writer who was the boundary between news and sports, two newspapers ago. One of the most excitable and "unique" writers I've ever known. He would furrow his brow like a president at a treaty conference, and when he finally found the words for his story, he'd pound the desk, smack his palm and pound the keys like he was playing "Great Balls of Fire." Once, when someone poured a bunch of ice out by the back door, they came in and jokingly said there was hail outside. This guy, trying to protect his car, I guess, literally ran across the tops of two desks running outside.

The other was a Texas A&M graduate and took his Aggie-dom to new heights of annoyance for those of us who didn't (thankfully) go to that school.

9. jumboland

jumboland New Member

Did he stand up the entire time he was typing? And did he squeeze his testicles hard every time a typo made it into print to show how much it hurt him? Did he keep an extra mouse by his mousepad to show solidarity with the other mouse and claim a legal copyright on the phrase "second mouse"?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Last--and actually only--real office job I had, there was a 50-somthing copy editor (best brief description I can give is, "not if you were the last man on earth"), who constantly hit on the 20-something women, bought them gifts and found other creative ways to skeeve them out. He was warned a few times before he was finally canned.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anybody, anybody who trumpets their school affiliation at work immediately gets on my shit list.

Romper room is over. We're grownups now.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not going to repeat the phrase that was said to this gentleman, because it was very clearly inappropriate, but his response, if defense of his school, was equally inappropriate.
    And it's not just a loser fanboy, kind of thing, it's a Texas A&M thing. They try so hard to be different and have "traditions" that they often look like idiots to the rest of us.

And no, Aggies, I'm not jealous. Just amused and annoyed.

Draft saved Draft deleted