1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curse words in print

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I've seen the f word in articles in some newspaper "hip" type publications they insert in the actual newspaper. And of course in newspaper web stories. I think it's ridiculous but this is an industry that lets fools print libelous material each and every day in their cute little "comments" section under articles.

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

How about they're not stuck up twats like us Americans. <i> (Sorry.) </i>

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

The Baltimore Police Department could not disagree more.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I know it's not at this level, but I asked to use crap in a quote. They said it was fine. But when I said what the whole quote was and that the world "holy" immediately preceeded crap, then it wasn't allowed.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The worst word i've used in print was damn in a direct quote.

Editors had no problem with it.

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I think this deserves its own thread.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I checked with my bosses before printing "pimps and hoes" to describe the type of video used by a guy who admitted to prostituting a 15-year-old girl.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Fuck the fucking fucks.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I remember the first time I said fuck in front of my mom. I was in first or second grade, and some older kid had told me a joke at school, and I repeated it. I didn't even know what the word meant, and I got a pretty good smack.

Nowadays, she doesn't curse like a sailor, but she uses the word a fair bit. I only point this out to illustrate the evolution (devolution?) of our language.

I think this also ties into Buck's point... I'd argue that our education system has worsened in the past 30, 40 years, maybe coincidentally with the rise in popularity of the television state, and I'd say our ability to communicate verbally has deteriorated on some level. Fuck definitely is used as a crutch. I do it myself.

I was on the sidelines earlier this year and heard a football coach light up into his team, and every other word was fuck. I've heard coaches swear before, but not on that level. It was jarring. I don't know whether it's a good thing or not.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wanted to say, "Get off the fricken phone." The words ... well, they weren't quite there. Everyone laughed, and I ran to my room in tears.

No one said being 17 was easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted