1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curling anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I will say this, playing it, watching it live, and watching it on TV are three completely different things. Anyone who wants to argue that these guys aren't athletes should spend a weekend as a lead or second. My god your work your ass off.
    Watching it live can be incredibly boring. My biggest challenge is staying awake, even when the best in the world are playing (my local club actually hosts a 'spiel with a better lineup than the Brier, this year had 9 of the top 10 in the world in the field). Most of them are good guys, but if you don't have a rooting interest (and as a reporter that's the way I go into these things) you get bored really fast.
    Watching it on TV is much better than live. A) You get a much better point of view. B) You still get all of the strategizing because all of the curlers are miked up. C) The analysts that CBC and TSN have for their curling broadcasts are all very good, so they are worth listening too. All together it's enough to cut through the boredom and is worthwhile watching and drinking to.

If you are really jonesing for a curling fix, here is a link that may help you out.

http://www.curltv.com/

They show bonspiels from around the country and other curling news and features.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Thank me later.

http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/virtualcurling/play.php

3. Flash

Flash Guest

No, no. This one is more fun.

http://www.freeaddictinggames.com/popup/754.html

By the way, if anyone wants to ogle last year's calendar, I have a copy I would mail to you.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

How often do you get to play with puppies?

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Recreational curling is a little like bowling, on ice.

I'm all for any game during which you can drink beer and (back in the day) smoke.

My husband curled one winter with three of his rugby buddies (they called themselves "Half a Ton of Curling Fun", and while it didn't do much for his cardio, the bills coming in from the curling club bar put him in major hock.

In the Olympics, though? That one is a mystery other than they're desperately looking for sports to televise when it's too dark to ski, or when the fancy skaters take a break.
    As proud a Canadian as I am, I just don't think this is a good thing.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

It's off the hook for the Euros, though, and that's what matters when determining whether a sport qualifies for the Olympics. Hence, baseball is out. Curling is in.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same deal when I play softball... But our games shouldn't be televised.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Nor should rec-league curling.

Apples and oranges.

Draft saved Draft deleted