1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curious for feedback

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BrewCrewFan, Sep 3, 2013.

1. BrewCrewFan

BrewCrewFan New Member

Our paper is discussing going down to 3 days per week print and the other days be all online. Should I be concerned about my job security? Thoughts?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You work at a news media organization. You should be concerned about your job security.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Geez, what a thing to have hanging over your head on Labor Day.

The short answer is, what Vers said.

But really you have to stop thinking about it. Always have fresh things in your portfolio, always have the resume up to date, but other than that the decisions on cuts will be made well above your pay grade so there isn't much you can do to stop them if they are on the way. I lived with that worry constantly for several years, every time my editor came out of her office and headed in my general direction, I thought 'oh shit, here it comes.' It got to the point where I dreaded any conversation with her, even though she was one of the best bosses I've ever had. Eventually the cut came and I accepted it for what it was, a chance to take a well-deserved vacation.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ugh. What Versatile said. And you feel that way all the time.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As others said, you can't ever feel comfortable anymore.

Still ... I think it also depends on your job description. If you're a reporter, I'd feel a little more secure about the change. Someone still has to gather the information and report it, regardless of format.

If you're a copy editor (like me) ... yikes.

6. BrewCrewFan

BrewCrewFan New Member

I'm a section editor. I know the future is not good. But how do you give up something you've wanted to do since 7th grade and still enjoy doing?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No one said you should give it up. Well, I'm sure someone will. But you can do something and still be worried about how long you'll be able to do it.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Ask anyone who previously worked for a Newhouse publication.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yes, I would be concerned, as are most people in most industries right now. Fewer days of printed publication almost always leads to smaller staffing needs somewhere down the road.

On the other hand, if you still enjoy what you do, then, by all means, keep doing it until someone tells you that you can't anymore. SOMEONE has to do the job. Might as well be you and not the person in the next chair.

Draft saved Draft deleted