1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curious about what you'd do

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 8, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not that I'm necessarily looking for advice. I just thought given the times we live in that this was a strange situation. So here goes:

An older facebook friend messages me and asks about a situation that I'm not privy to but that someone in my family would be in a position to know about. Having a lot of respect for the requester, I promise I will ask and follow through on that promise. The answer I get is salacious. In all likelihood, it's true. But having the occupational condition of libel/slander avoidance mode, I'm not comfortable repeating it. It'd be rude not to respond to the request, but I think I need to tread extremely lightly here.

What would you do?

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

Since we don't know the people involved, can you share some details?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Novvie:

Tell me, and tell me who your FB friend is. Then I can tell them, and you know I have no shame.

Easy peasy!

4. novelist_wannabe

I guess this was a bit cryptic.

A music minister at a church in my hometown was asked to resign. FB friend wants to know why. Before this person asked me about it, I'd never heard of said music minister (I have visited my hometown maybe twice in the past eight years and have little desire to go there). My family member, on the other hand, is well connected in the church music realm. So I asked. Again, the answer I got was of a salacious nature, which immediately prompted me to proceed with caution. It's the sort of thing that would generate plenty of grist for the rumor mill. Really, the whole thing is none of my business, and I have no inclination whatsoever to go looking for verification, without which I prefer not to repeat it.

5. imjustagirl

Yeah, with that backstory, I'd avoid. Tell the person you asked, but you're not comfortable sharing the information. They can ask whomever they'd like, but you're not going to do it. If they're your friend, they won't be an asshole about it.

So....tell us!

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Go an' tell dat... homeboy!

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

I agree ... Just say you don't know anything...You may be able to say there's a story out there, but you have no idea what's rumor, speculation or fact.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with IJAG on this one. (And given how rarely that happens, we must be right.) :)

9. novelist_wannabe

IJAG, that's exactly what I did. And I got a response where FB friend laid out the details and essentially asked me to confirm. To which I replied I'm simply not close enough to the situation to confirm, that no good can come from me joining the discussion and that I have no inclination to chase verification. Thanks for the feedback guys.

10. imjustagirl

Well played.

Now tell us!

Draft saved Draft deleted