1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 8

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That was Robert Smigel, AKA Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

Another Sopranos alum, with Jerry Adler (Hesh) as the guy who recruits Larry to the Jewish memorial service.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Brilliant episode. Again, I enjoyed all the Seinfeld callbacks (again, presumably the theme of Larry being in NYC).

3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

A while ago there was a thread on the greatest cameo ever by an athlete. The Buckner episode pretty much ends the discussion. Absolutely incredible—both how they used him, and that he did it at all.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That was fantastic. also loved Larry's oblivious monologue about mixed nuts during the first car ride

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Buckner / Kishke / the baby was amazing. But don't forget Leon and the glasses. Leon is the man.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I loved how he talked when he went into the psychiatrist's office: "Excuse me, my good man..."

Also loved the psychiatrist always blowing cover on his famous patients, especially when he gets to George Lucas. "I once had a client who was a very famous director. He directed Star Wars. Now he happened to indulge in prostitutes..."

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Here's a WSJ interview with Buckner from July where he talks about Curb.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052702304760604576428043201862176.html

Part of the deal was that Buckner's daughter Brittany, an actress, got to be in an episode. She was a flight attendant in the episode where Larry was a "hero."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640885/fullcredits#cast

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Good linkage, Bob. Interesting stuff.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

best ep of season and in my 'top 5' in show'shistory. instant classic. can't wait to watch again... and again... and again...

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Robert Smigel's performance should not be lost, either.

"We're going to #%!&*$% their sisters in the (censored)!"
    Jeff: "Who talks like that?"

11. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

And then Larry questions him on it and says I don't want you talking to people about me, and the shrink says, "Well, nobody asks about you."

And Larry says: I didn't ask about George Lucas.

I picked up on that exchange the second time I saw it. The first time I was too wrapped up in Buckner. When that ball went flying past him and out the window I laughed til I cried.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The only thing that could've topped what we saw: Susie calling Buckner a bowlegged fuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted