1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cultivating Sources for Stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JennaLaine, Feb 19, 2010.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

you do both -- eff the p.r. people when you have your own direct line/relationship/access to a source AND/OR shmooze up the go-betweens. sometimes you must take all routes.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Bingo.

Talk to as many people as possible. Shoot the breeze with them. Make them see you as just another person, not a reporter.

3. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

One more thing to add. Lots of talk here about blowing off the pr folks or SIDs or whatever they call themselves in particular situations.

Let's not forget that the people who do those jobs sometimes actually KNOW things and are willing to let you know what they know.

DO NOT DISMISS the SID or media person with a team.
    Yes, they are often guarded or willfully ignorant of what is going on. But not always.
    If I have something solid, but it's second or third-hand info (which I can't report) I go to the SID.
    If i feel like I have something solid, but am looking to get that slam dunk second source, I go to an SID.

I had one SID tell me early in my career, 'If you're doing the work and ask me to confirm something that I know is true, I won't lie to you and say it's not.'

Yes, it's good to know the secretaries and interns and trainers. They're good for tips and ledes. But an SID is in far better position to confirm facts _ and some will.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

all of this is true, but just beware and be careful to trust the p.r. person or s.i.d. the best ones can be trusted and have been around a while. others allegiance will ALWAYS be on guard for the team/school signing his checks. 'tis a slippery slope.

5. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

True dat.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, the PR people aren't the best to schmooze. Low percentage of them are going to give you the real dirt. Though many are helpful and great to work with in their own way.

It's the secretaries and trainers and managers and others who know what's going on and will often steer you in the right direction.

7. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Excellent advice here guys. Thank you!

I try to generally talk to everyone in every situation, not because I'm trying to "get something" from them or in the event I need to use them as a source one day, but because I'm generally a friendly person who hates going places where I don't know people so I try to make a friend as soon as I can anyway. Especially during those long bus rides at places like the Super Bowl. It makes work a lot more fun that way, and it's really nice when you run into these people again at Training Camp, etc.

So since I got this feedback from you guys, I've already started cultivating some relationships with different personnel departments, assistant coaches, etc. and I've been amazed at how helpful and friendly they all have been, even this week with the chaos down in Indy. I guess if you ask nicely, a lot of people are willing to give you their time.

Draft saved Draft deleted