1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs Manager Lou Pinella To Retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0721-cubs-lou-piniella-chicago20100720,0,4519414.story

Always liked Lou. Always got a kick out of him. Saw where Ryne Sandberg would like the Cubs job (may try to post that story later).

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm certain Lou will manage somewhere else. That asshole is just fed up with the Cubs and all the losing, so he's quitting there, just like he did in Tampa. But he'll show up somewhere else, suddenly all "refreshed" and ready to go again.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

My Lou memory: He gets into it with Ben Grieve in the Devil Rays dugout. Later in the night Grieve calls our sports department wanting the Rays beat writer's cell phone number to give his side of the story after hearing what Lou said. Idiot clerk refuses, telling him that clerks can't give out the writers' cell phone number. He hangs up on Grieve.
    More of a Ben Grieve memory I suppose...

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

"Certain" Lou will manage again? He's turning 67 next month. Only way I see it happening is if Girardi gets fired in the middle of a season and Piniella goes from Tampa-based consultant to interim manager.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Joe Sheehan in SI calls Pinella a Hall of Famer on the site today.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_sheehan/07/20/lou.piniella/index.html?eref=sihp

Many are called, few are chosen.

6. I don't care what Piniella does as long as he never becomes a color commentator again. (If there was a puking emoticon, I would enter it here)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe the clerk thought Ben Grieve was calling in a game after deadline?

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Sounds like Ryne Sandberg, who is currently managing AAA Iowa Cubs, would like to be considered to replace Pinella (this is the story I referenced earlier in my original post).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0721-cubs-sandberg-lou-piniell20100720,0,1228834.story

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They've been grooming Sandberg for the job for awhile. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get it.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

No surprise at all that Lou is retiring. I was half expecting him to just walk away from the Cubs turmoil at the All-Star break.
    I would be surprised if he manages again. He can join the collection of consultants on the Yankees payroll and sit home in Tampa collecting a paycheck for doing next to nothing.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think he'll manage again.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

That was good.

Draft saved Draft deleted