1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs' Fukudome upset over new shirts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sorry, Doc. My Cubs-fan girlfriend would agree with Bubbler. The man said it: "They're every fucking where."

Doesn't reflect poorly on you or other real Cubs fans. But it's annoying as hell.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So joking about race and foreign accents is OK in your view?

I asked it last time this came up, but here we go again: would this be OK with you if the shirt made fun of an African-American or Latin American stereotype? Why or why not?

No need to show your work.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

That's a great idea! Let's just keep offending minorities until those bastards understand they don't belong.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You beat me to the punch, Piotr.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Sidebar: If I opened a small MMA arena, I'd so call it the Fukudome.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Uh......

Did anyone think to consult Fukudome to see what his opinion of the shirt is?

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hell, I'm just glad that this time around I have allies. Was a man alone on the last argument of this kind, which Tripp referred to in the first post, mostly because it was a bunch of foolishness buried in a thread about the new Hulk movie.

This shit is not OK.

Rosie: Fukudome has been quoted by the Sun-Times and in this thread, expressing disapproval.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

From the story:

'I don't know what the creator of the shirt meant this to be, but they should make it right,'' Fukudome said through his interpreter after being shown one of the shirts Thursday. ''Maybe the creator created it because he thought it was funny, or maybe he made it to condescend the race. I don't know.''

Regardless, it's not funny. The image feeds not only ugly, arrogant and ignorant Japanese stereotypes, but also the stereotype of the obnoxious, profane, drunken, booing, garbage-throwing Cubs fan.

9. Steveu, I'll be at Wrigley Monday and Tuesday, do you want me to pick one up for you?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh fuck, that was funny.

so, so solid.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, I laugh when Eddie Murphy does his "white guy" voice in "Delirious."

And I laugh at the end of "A Christmas Story" when they're in the Chinese restaurant. In fact, I go to a Chinese-American sports bar, and at Christmas time the Chinese owner sells red T-shirts that say, "Fa ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra."

Is he being offensive or does he get a pass for being Chinese and being able to have some fun? I certainly hope it's OK to have some fun, but if you tell me no, then I guess we should all never have fun ever again.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the imortal words of Emily Latella -- "Nevermind"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.