1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs' Fukudome upset over new shirts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/18/cubs-t-shirt-vendors-capitalizing-on-overt-racial-stereotypes/

Hope this hasn't already been posted somewhere else. Thought it was a topic worth talking about.
    There was an issue on another thread where someone typed something in way to poke fun of a stereotypical Asian dialect. A somewhat regular SportsJournalists.com poster took exception to it and several responders basically thought he was overreacting to a joke.

I'm wondering why it's seemingly more acceptable to poke fun at certain stereotypes and not others.

And, I'll go on record as saying the Cubs (or whoever is responsible for the t-shirt) are beyond stupid for letting this item see the light of day, if for no other reason than not clearing it with Fukudome, himself.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Cubs have nothing to do with it. It's a bootleg sold outside Wrigley, same with the samurai headband, complete with the same saying. (Sold alongside such shirts as Zambrano is my pisano and Fukudome is my homie.) I couldn't believe how many people were wearing it (the T-shirt or the headband). I especially was surprised at Wrigley the other day when I saw it on a fan of Asian extraction.

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Absolutely right. I overlooked that part in the article. I take back what I said about the Cubs' culpability in this.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As that poster, Tripp . . . . I have the same question: why is it accepted to make fun of certain stereotypes, where others bring out the long knives and loud protests?

Of course, a satisfactory answer is never forthcoming.

There's not much a team can do about bootleg items; the stadium's a big place, and it's impossible to eliminate every single one. But I would expect that an MLB franchise would make very clear is distaste for fan-created merchandise that makes fun of racial stereotypes.

The headbands . . . . Compare that to how the Dodgers and their fans reacted to Nomomania (they started selling sushi at Chavez Ravine for all the Japanese fans who arrived in droves), and it's not the proudest moment for Cubs fans.

I'll note, of course, that not every Cubs fan is an idiot. Just those who support stereotypes.

EDIT: Has anyone translated what the writing on the headbands is? The world is littered with dudes who get tattoos of "Asian writing" because they think it's cool, but sometimes mischievous tattoo administerers write it so it translates as, "I'm a dumb gaijin." I hope that's what the headbands say . . .

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Meaning a significant amount of them.

Fukudome is now my favorite Cub for pointing out the dipshitery of the frat boys fuckheads who gravitate to Cubs fandom. These shirts are Exhibit Z.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

::)

Thanks for checking in with another anti-Larry Brown Isiah Thomas Cubs post, Starman Bubbler.

But by all means, continue to paint with that broad brush of yours.

7. Bubbler

That was as predictable as my anti-Cubs post.

Broad brush? Perhaps, but whose buying these shirts? As even the Sun-Times article noted, it defines, "... the stereotype of the obnoxious, profane, drunken, booing, garbage-throwing Cubs fan." Looks like the bootleg T-shirt makers know their market well.

None of this points out the inherent idiocy in the fact that Japanese standouts ain't exactly new to American baseball. Japanese players have been contributing at a high level for what, 10 years now?

But somehow, this is a novelty to the "obnoxious, profane, drunken, booing, garbage-throwing Cubs fans" who think it's hilarious to sport a "Horry Cow" shirt.

Stay classy, frat boyish, don't-give-a-shit-about-baseball assholes.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You said a "significant amount." I'd like you to support that claim, or stop trying to claim all or most Cubs fans are frat boy assholes. It's boring and tiresome and untrue.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The first sentence hurt my head:

10. Bubbler

Fukudome said he's seen the shirts around and outside the park. If they're that visible, I'd say it's a significant amount.

As for the frat boy asshole tag, go to Wrigley Field sometime. Yes, 100 percent of Cubs fans are not fratboy assholes. But they're not hard to find. They're filed under, "can't swing a dead cat without hitting a ...".

The preponderance of frat boyishness serves as a magnet to draw more fratboy assholes, who crave a drunken good time at the Friendly Confines, but who couldn't tell you who Jack Brickhouse was if you spotted them the "Brick" and the "House".

Unfortunately, like it or not, they define a significant segment of the Cubs fanbase. Many non-frat boy asshole Cubs fans, to their annoyance, will admit as much. How many "true" Cubs do you know that can't stand these weekend, Old Style chugging warriors? But they're every fucking where.

And why defend this T-shirt shit? I know you're not defending the T-shirts, per se, but this is one time Cubs fans shouldn't defend their own, they should throw them under the bus.

I will say this, when/if there's ever some "Hebrew Hammer" Ryan Braun shirts out there done without his permission, you won't see me jumping to the defense of dipshit Brewers fans who wear them. They're fucking clowns.

Maybe that's the problem. Fratboy Brewers fans usually stay out in the parking lot and tailgate. Cubs fans don't have the option. Ergo, Wrigley needs a big ass parking lot. :D

11. rube

rube Active Member

Wow.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I defended neither the T-shirts nor the fratboy assholes. I defended the Cubs fan base as a whole. I grew up less than 12 blocks from Wrigley, and I'm betting I've been to a hell of a lot more Cubs games than you. The problem isn't as prevalent as you claim.

Every fan base has assholes, and the Cubs have their fair share. But to claim those fratboys stain the entire fan base is factually incorrect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.