1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs fire Jim Hendry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, I laugh every time I hear Cubs fans bag on Mike Quade, believing Ryne Sandberg, who has as much MLB managerial experience as I do, is some savior solely because he's a HOFer.

I see plenty of Cubs games and I fail to see what Quade is doing so wrong that justifies Cub fan rancor.

He has a shit roster he had little to do with putting together. Neither he nor Sandberg would be winning with it. Of course, if Sandberg had got the job last year and the Cubs were in the same state they are now, he'd be getting all kinds of free passes from Cubs fans Quade doesn't get.

It's dumb as hell, but its also vintage Cubs fans being Cubs fans.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Prove it. Show that teams with great bullpens tend to outperform their Pythagorean records for multiple seasons.

3. RickStain

I really, really wish Sandberg had gotten the job just so that I could see Cubs fans turn on him instead of pine for him. He's a meathead idiot and I want no part of him managing a Cubs team with actual talent, should there ever be such a thing again.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

As a Cardinal fan, the preferred outcome of the chase for Pujols is:

1. St. Louis
    2. Any other team except the Cubs

I would be greatly pained to see him in a Cubs uni. But, it's really up to the Cardinals. They have this generation's Stan Musial--it's nobody's fault but their own if they let a St Louis icon like Albert go.

As for the Cubs, maybe they should try Cindy Sandberg. Depending on what dress she wears....

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not going to prove it. The Brewers has a losing pythagorean record as recently as two weeks ago. It's a horseshit "stat".

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Then it should be easy to prove.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Speculation that the Cubs job is finally the one that gets Billy Beane to give up on the A's:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/25/SPPT1KRH6F.DTL

And the owner says he won't stand in the way, which can be viewed as a fond farewell. Beane has a contract through 2014, but the A's have a severe stadium problem that doesn't seem like it's going to be solved anytime soon:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/25/SPQQ1KRV9N.DTL

This one makes sense to me. The adulation would be there for him, it's enough of a project to rebuild the whole organization (unlike the Red Sox job he took and then rejected in 2002), and the A's are on a slow road to nowhere competitively.

8. RickStain

I wouldn't be furious if they hired Beane, but he doesn't seem like my first choice. He had one trick, the market caught on, and he hasn't proven he has another trick up his sleeve.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Even when Beane's one trick still "worked," all it got Oakland was four consecutive first round playoff losses and a 1-9 record in playoff series closeout games in five playoff trips. That's more than just bad luck, folks. That's a flawed way of doing things.

The Cubs have been to the playoffs. They've won division titles. They've even won a playoff series in recent memory, which is as many playoff series wins as Beane had in Oakland.

They want a championship. And Beane hasn't come close to building a champion.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What gets lost in some of these arguments - and I understand that I'm the one who predicted the Cubs could be a juggernaut with their payroll, and I stand by that - is that, for example, the Yankees $200 million payroll vs. the A's $30 million payroll doesn't really make the Yankees seven times better than the A's. The A's - or Rays or Twins or whoever - have rosters mostly consisting of pre-free agency players who are entering or at their prime. The Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs have players who are post-free agency, post-prime in many cases, but command higher salaries because of the free market for their services.

Doesn't mean that the A's and Rays and Twins aren't at a disadvantage. But it's probably not quite the disadvantage that the numbers make it look like.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So fucking simplistic who knows where to start with that. It's a miracle with that payroll they even made the bloody playoffs

12. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I won't be pissed if he is the hire but I agree with all you said. I think there are much better options but he also isn't the worst.

Draft saved Draft deleted