1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs file for Ch. 11 bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Oct 12, 2009.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So sez CNN, no details.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pre-planned move to cleanse the team of any theoretical liability from Tribune creditors before the sale is finalized.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-ap-us-cubs-bankruptcy,0,4054338.story

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Does that include shedding the liability of this large Milton Bradley "Gamer" T-shirt I found last night for $2 at my local Jewel?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If there's a bigger freeloader on the American public than professional sports teams, I'm having trouble thinking of it. Maybe defense contractors? But, at least they usually provide some actual material.

Taxpayers largely build the facilities. Baseball teams have monopoly clauses, etc.

Then, when the Cubs are about to be sold for more than $600 million, they're suddenly broke.

Once again, proof that I don't understand life.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Bankruptcy does not mean 'broke.'

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In the case of the Rangers, it will. Tom Hicks is upside down on the note and he's had to borrow multi-millions from MLB to make payroll.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This woulda never happened if Bartman doesn't interfere with that ball [/crossthread]

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

hicks isn't personally broke

10. Kent_Dorfman

Kent_Dorfman Member

The Cubs had to file bankruptcy yesterday (it was pre-arranged and already wrapped up early this afternoon) so that the new owners wouldn't be on the hook for any of the massive amount of Tribune debt that the company had used their one profitable arm to help guarantee.

Can you imagine what the sale price would have been had any new owner been liable for massive amounts of the debt of the company he was buying the team from?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One profitable arm?

It's my understanding that every Tribune property is profitable (or at least posted a profit in 2008). The shrinking profits are just to low to service this ridiculous debt to the creditors' liking.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted