1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs dump Old Style for Budweiser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Alex was the dog's name, right?

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

*sigh*

You blew past me on the NFL thread, and now this?

The link in my post is your friend. All will be revealed 8)

3. Machine Head

And for the record, Miller Light sucks!

:D

4. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

He doesn't mess around with The Medina...

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There is no such beer s Miller Light.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Amateurs. That wasn't even their best 80s TV ad.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Not too many beers worse than Blatz. Also Red White & Blue, which could be had for about $7.99 a case in the mid-'80s. As my very observant buddy used to point out, "Dude, that's cheaper than Coke."

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I remember generic "Beer" at the grocery stores in the late 1970s.

9. Machine Head

Blatz Light came in the stubby bottles I liked. The Canucks know that kind of bottle.

Did some RWB as well, the poor man's PBR we used to call it.

Michelob was a premium beer in the 70s, at least to me. My dad would get that and I'd 'borrow' some.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Michelob Dark was a quality beer I haven't seen in ages. Does A/B still make it?

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://business.time.com/2013/05/26/after-pbr-will-the-next-great-hipster-beer-please-stand-up/

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

This reminds me of a part in Ken Dryden's amazing book "The Game." All the Canadian players were sitting around bitching that the price of a case of beer was being raised 85 cents. Canadians love their beer.

My Canadian beer story. In Edmonton at the drag strip there...Bob Motz and his jet Kenworth were making an exhibition pass. Well, before he went down the strip he would always shoot flames out of the back of the jet engines...a good 75 to 100 feet behind him. Edmonton had a beer gardens off to the side behind the starting line, and they cleared it for Motz because they did not want people to get hurt/burned.

Well, Motz pulls up and starts with his flames bit (if you have ever seen it you will know what I am talking about). I looked at the beer garden and there was this drunk Canadian guy, crawling through the jetwash towards the picnic tables where he had left his four newly-bought beers, somehow still sitting in the cup carrier on the table.

He made it without injury...I have no idea how. He put on a better show than the jet truck.

Draft saved Draft deleted