1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs dump Old Style for Budweiser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Ben, I think Oly was THE worst beer I ever tasted. I drank some plain-label shit in college brewed by a grain and feed company from Minnesota. It's close but I think Oly still beats that brew out.

I've always enjoyed Old Style as long as it is extremely cold. Most of my trips to Chicago are in winter so it helps.

2. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

It was an acquired taste...and it had to be right at the freezing point or it was undrinkable. Hudy Delight was downright awful, too. That was the back-up if Olympia was out of stock.

I always wanted to know what Tumwater was when we drank it...see it there in the water under the horseshoe that is turned the wrong way...
    [​IMG]

We thought it was some special kind of water...turns out the brewery was in Tumwater, Washington.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Fart drank a crap beer called Meister Brau in college.
    Once it was the most popular beer in Chicago.
    Trademark was recently put up for auction.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We shoulda' gone halves on it

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

We had The Brau at Kent...it was too pricey for my blood. Man, you must have had some kind of scholarship or rich parents or something. I really hated the richies that drank Natty Light...pompus pricks.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When I was a kid there was both Meister Brau and Braumeister.

7. joe

joe Active Member

What about Meisterburger Burgermiester?

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I was as middle-class a college kid as they came.
    I ain't no senator's son. My folks worked for a living.
    Are you serious that Brau was a rich kid's beer?

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Agreed. I just had one yesterday while watching the NFL. I was pleased.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Meister Bräu was by far the cheapest choice at the booze shop down the street from my house in college. That's what I bought when I was being super frugal, otherwise it was usually High Life.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bad, cheap beer? Two words: Old Milwaukee.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oly, Rainier, Stroh's, National Boh, Utica Club, Genessee, Schmidt, Rolling Rock, etc., were very drinkable (and affordable) beers when they were strictly regional products. When they tried to go national (Stroh's); changed their formula when they had to cut costs as the national brands invaded their markets and eroded their market share, or sold out completely when the national brands bought their breweries, those beers generally went to hell or disappeared altogether.

(Those are the ones I'm familiar with. I'm sure there are other local brands like Schaefer, Falstaff, etc., that experienced a similar fate, but didn't grow up drinking those beers).

Henry's was an outstanding beer in the 1980s, and one of the most popular beers in the PNW. Miller then bought out Blitz-Weinhard, screwed with the formula, closed the PDX brewery and started brewing it in Los Angeles or some such place. The brand died. Somebody has since bought the brand and is making Henry's again, but it ain't Henry's.

Draft saved Draft deleted