1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs dump Old Style for Budweiser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wouldn't lump Schlitz in with them. Schlitz was at one time the No. 1 beer in the world. A recipe change made it a cheap beer, but it is again being brewed with the same recipe from when it was No. 1. If you haven't had it you may well be pleasantly surprised.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I drink PBR on hot summer days when I fire up the smoker. Not because I want to be a hipster, but it's cheap, decent and light on a hot summer Southern day.

I have, a time or two, frequented Nashville bars known to harbor hipsters and purchase a couple of 16-ounce PBRs for appropriate double-fisting.

but I think the bad hipster beer fad is just about something classic and old. Like horn-rim glasses and fedoras.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I can deal with the beer geek, members and moderators.
    He is trying to sell me on something of higher quality, that required an artistry.
    The hipster beer drinker will pound his shitty Black Label while wearing a mesh hat.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It could be worse, 3_O_F
    At least the trucker hat craze
    Is flatter than a $1.50 PBR draft

(It's tough to post like this ;))

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Exercise that keeps my headline writing sharp, so it works for Fart.
    Plus my wife says I'm full of gas.
    I remember Carson Palmer wearing a mesh hat the day he was drafted.
    Everybody was like WTF? And then soon every douchebag had one.

6. joe

joe Active Member

When I first heard the term "trucker hat," I wondered what the fuck that was. Then I saw a pic of Ashton Kutcher wearing one, and I was like, What the fucking fuck?

"Trucker hat" to Hollywood dipshits is just a summer hat to country folk.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ricketts seems intent on pissing off all the fanbases at once. Never mind that a jumbotron does not belong in Wrigley Field, a lot of Cubs fans don't want Budweiser because it's associated with the Cardinals. ;)

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Being the No. 1 beer in the world means the beer sucks and is generic. And I have had Schlitz. It sucks and is generic.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Being No. 1 now, yes? In the 1950s? That's another story.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's nostalgia flavoring your pisswater.

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

What does this mean for the sales of Special Export at Wrigley?

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

In college we drank Olympia...it was $2.99 for a 12-pack and, since there was a party store down four flights of stairs INSIDE my apartment complex (yeah, I could buy beer in my pajamas) that kept it well-stocked, we had Olympia on-hand at all times.

Than being said...I could not picture myself, now, buying or ordering an Olympia. Nostalgia is great but, damn, have some pride.

Draft saved Draft deleted