1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs dump Old Style for Budweiser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The bull was Schlitz Malt Liquor. But I would suggest giving Schlitz a try. Pretty good beer now. Certainly better than Pabst or Bud or Miller. Problem is there's no longer a Schlitz Brewing Co. The Schlitz label is now one of many owned by Pabst Brewing Co., which operated out of suburban Chicago, but was then purchased again and now operates out of Los Angeles. In 2001 Pabst contracted out the making of Schlitz to the Miller brewery in Milwaukee. I think it's still produced there.

Schlitz is a good beer, now being made with the same formula from when it was the No. 1 beer in the world. But it will never be more than a niche brand now since it's simply a label owned by another company.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

There's a really cool bar called The Red Derby in Washington, DC that has a bunch of the old school beers in a can. It's definitely off the beaten path, and not in the greatest location, but it's a nice little dive with some interesting character.

I know it's not hard to find most of these beers at one of those bars that has hundreds on tap and in bottle, but Red Derby feels like the type of place you want to drink a Stroh's or Schlitz. It's also the very first bar I tried a Natty Boh at ($1 during happy hour!).

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Do you listen to dance music without acknowledging it?

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Even without Old Style to drink, most Cubs fans will be fully krausened by about the fifth inning.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

+1000 points to Coco for coming with the brewers terminology.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Old Style ads in Chicago used to promote their "fully krausened" beer, and it became a term to describe someone who's poured down a few Old Styles.

Really a piss-poor beer ... in other words, a perfect match for the Cubs!

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

When Heilman closed after the bankruptcy debacle of Alan Bond, the facility was reborn as City Brewery in 2000, is a contract brewer and has expanded to buy facilities in Latrobe, the old Rolling Rock brewery and in Memphis. The world's largest six pack still exists in La Crosse (it's just a few blocks from the hospital). City is now home to Sam Adams, Iron City, Sapporro, Mike's Hard Lemonade, Smirnoff Ice and Arizona Ice Tea among others.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Pabst Brewing Company makes all these shitty regional beers now: Pabst Blue Ribbon, Jacob Best, Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, Colt 45, St. Ides, Stroh's, Old Style, Lone Star, Olympia, Rainier Beer, Schmidt Beer and National Bohemian.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Hipster doofii BS.
    At some point it became cool to drink something that was shite.
    No matter how cool you think you are with your 70s James Brolin beard and quaffing your crap beer, you're still a dork dipstick beneath the surface.

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Here goes the narrative...

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, someone's gonna have to explain the hipster bad beer fascination to me. Those folks are becoming more annoying than Craft Beer Guy, which I didn't think was possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted