1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs dump Old Style for Budweiser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I always found it amusing that an entire fan base would treat Old Style, which is akin to Berger or Weidemann, as some kind of worthy beverage at the stadium. We used to get kegs of Old Style for $36 in college...at $5.25 a draft (which is what it cost when I was at Wrigley last...in 2003) they could probably make payroll on beer profits.

And that stuff is, was and will always be complete swill. Milwaukee's Best blows it away.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Old Style is also sold at Smokies Park, home of the Cubs' AA affiliate. It sucks there too.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Old Style isn't as bad as it used to be. The recipe was changed in 2009 back to the original recipe.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Has any company ever done well changing the recipe of a successful product?

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The recipe was changed back to the original.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I understand that. I'm saying the change from the original was the mistake.

On the bright side, we've had companies succeed by ending their fuck-ups. Schlitz went from No. 1 beer in the world to swill. Now they've returned to the original formula and have returned to a very good beer -- although financial success is still the question.

Coke did it by recognizing almost immediately that it fucked up. But the "New Coke" was clearly a fuck-up of the highest order.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or one of the most brilliant marketing plans ever, depending on who you believe.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I was just at a Cubs game a couple of weeks ago and there were a LOT more beer guys hauling around Bud/Bud Light than there were Old Style. The concession stands I went to all had Old Style on draft, though.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Funny you mentioned that, because I was just thinking the same thing. A couple of years ago I got one there, ordering for nostalgia purposes of when I was in Chicago, and quickly realizing some memories are best left as such.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The terrorists have won.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Someone will be shot over this.

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I just can't imagine going anywhere and ordering a Schlitz. The name alone...like Blatz...makes me cringe.

The old commercials with the bull busting through the wall were cool, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted