1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs announce Kendall trade on TV first ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cubman, Jul 17, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The comments on that blog are none too kind.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Just ONCE I want readers/fans to do our job for a week/month/season or whatever. Not to see how "difficult" it is but merely to understand what we do and the obstacles we often face.

I'm covering golf this week and before the tourney the topic of my job was brought up by a new neighbor. I hate talking about work because inevitably you wind up pointing out that some of the fans' views aren't close to reality.

Anyway, the guys loves to golf and asks me: So when you cover the tournament, do you golf along with the players? :mad: ::) :-X

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The worst part is, some of the fanboy loosers' comments are bashing Sully for being critical in the past of the Cubs. I'm with Sully, who took the time to introduce himself to a 22-year-old kid covering his first game at Wrigley. How much would it have hurt to put it over the press-box loudspeaker about the trade? I'm guessing Hendry didn't hang up the phone with Billy Beane and rush to the WCIU booth to make the announcement; I would think it had been at least 15-20 minutes, while they talked to the principles involved and finalized the language for the press release. Instead, he made the print media's job harder than he had to.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I think a beat reporter only has an issue when he/she has the information, the team denies it and then announces it.

If no one gets the deal beforehand, why shouldn't the team break it on its own station? A good pr person may let a regular reporter know something is coming, but we're not owed anything more unless we get it ourselves.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That may all be true, but then take it up with the people who made the decision...you don't have to run to the fans and whine about it. They don't get it, they don't have to, and it makes the writers sound like babies.

I can't imagine one single reader/fan thought, 'wow, I can't believe they announced this on TV before I read it in the paper.'

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And yet, if the steel worker got off his shift, sat down at a bar, complained about his job and we told him it wasn't our problem, we'd get punched in the mouth.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sullivan has a legitimate point, but he also has to understand that fans/readers don't really care.

Bitch to the Cubs and/or MLB, not the public.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You cannot be saying it's the same thing, right?

Sullivan didn't sit down in a bar to make casual conversation about his bad day. He's using his professional platform to complain about it.

The equivalent would be the steel worker dumping a truckload of steel in the middle of the interstate to make his point.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Except whining in your blog is nothing like sitting down on the bar and complaining to the guy next to you downing a lager. Completely different situation. This is the classic "don't tell us how the baby is made, just show us the baby" situation. The fans despise most writers to begin with, so crying about how the Cubs "wronged" the writers is just not smart.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sorry; I disagree with both of you on the degree of difference.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Since when are organizations obligated to spoon-feed the news to the writers who cover the team? They're free to disseminate information any way they damn well choose, and you certainly can make the case that TV was the most timely and far-reaching way to do it. Sully's a good guy, but he has no business complaining about this one.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He's not asking to be "spoon-fed" the news, he's objecting to the idea that TV was. All he's asking for is the same release time for all outlets.

Draft saved Draft deleted