1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuban: lose the envelopes!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullwinkle, May 10, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Say what you want about him, but Mark Cuban has an interesting take and makes some sense in this blog post that is now a few weeks old: http://blogmaverick.com/2009/04/26/1269/

Thoughts?

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I'm not sure what he's talking about at the beginning. I've always paid for subscriptions with a credit card. It's easier for me and I get credit card points. Much better for the paper, too, as it makes me less likely to cancel and there's less paperwork to deal with.
    As for the second part, the business about keeping the credit card on file and selling stuff to readers through it - seems like a great and logical idea with little downside. Which is probably why no one in the newspaper biz has thought of doing it yet.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't agree more. Get everyone's card on file and charge for everything, including a nickel for all those anonymous comments left online. Only paid subscribers comment free.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

How about only paid subcribers can post comments?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Cuban never fails to amaze me. In a good way this time, though.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Cuban is a hell of a businessman. I'd love it if he'd buy my paper. Of course, being that he's a hell of a businessman, no way in hell he'd do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

<quote>Upload us a family picture and 500 words, and we will put it front and center on the front page of the Morning News along with the headline you pick and deliver it to your door for $25.</quote>

This is actually one of the more brilliant ideas I've heard in awhile. Do any places do this? If not, they should. It is the perfect gift for any occasion - Mother's Day, bachelor party, wedding, whatever.

I can think of 10 situations right now where I might have utilized such a gift.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think that's how these ladies got this paper to put their picture in.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

These are the kinds of visions that newspaper publishers should have had more than a decade ago.
    I've always said their lack of ingenuity allowed Craigslist and E-Bay to exist.
    The newspaper companies should have invented those sites, or bought them cheap after they were invented.
    Alas, there are no Mark Cubans with the big chains. Or, if they're there, nobody listened to them.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Great idea too. It would eliminate the trash on the site. You could also charge for misuse.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How much does that fuck with print runs?

And newsprint ain't cheap anymore.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That's what I was thinking. Our paper did away with the early run because, apparently, it costs too much money to change plates.

So I don't think we'd be willing to do it for any Tom, Dick or Harry with $25.

Draft saved Draft deleted