1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuban applies to own the Cubs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Yeah, I really see Commish/Brewers fanboy Selig letting Cuban buy the Cubs.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I would absolutely love for this to happen. A passionate owner committed to winning - have the Cubs ever had this?

3. what he said

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Jerry Reinsdorf tried to keep Cuban out of the NBA and told Stern he should keep him out. You know that he'll try to blackball him since he'd be on the other side of town. I fear that baseball owners will reject him even if he offers more money.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As long as Bud is commissioner and Reinsdorf holds veto power, Cuban could offer $5 billion for the Cubs and be shut out.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

i wonder how reinsdorf would feel about cubes, if cuban said he's going to renovate wrigley and have the cubs play in the cell for a season, giving part of the profits to jerry and his partners?

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Never mind Reinsdorf. How would Cubs fans feel?

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who owns Wrigley? Does Cuban get the Stadium if he buys the team?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent point. And I had the impression that Reinsdorf has a lot more influence in MLB than he does in the NBA.

Sad, too, because his addition as an owner would most likely be good for baseball financially. Better if he was saving a disgracefully-run franchise like his hometown Pirates, but even with the Cubs he would be an improvement.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Would Cuban's buying of the Cubs make the payroll that much larger? They already signed Aramis and Soriano to large contracts, so I don't see the payroll expanding that much. Isn't that one reason he would buy the team?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's one thing to bring it that high while trying to sell the team, hoping they can win and thus drive up the price tag. It is another to keep it there, in part by finding ways to increase revenue, something Cuban has done well with the Mavericks.

That's the misconception that comes up a lot in debates about teams spending. It isn't just about how deep the pockets of the owner are. It is also a matter of how much revenue the franchise can generate.

Cuban has always been willing to spend. He has also shown an ability to maximize the revenue of his team. If he can bring that to baseball, then he is doing exactly what an owner should do.

Draft saved Draft deleted