1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuban applies to own the Cubs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And the O-Face.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Apologies for the D_B. I did a search for Mark Cuban and never found the original thread. I think it's my first D_B in five years on the board. Drinks are on me.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Maybe if he owns two teams, the emotional investment in the first goes down a tick or two since he's got more on his plate. It's like being a sports fan in a multiple sport town in that if one team is down, you've got the other team(s) to fall back on and enjoy.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You must be the life of the party with that working definition at your disposal.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It's official he's interested in buying a team that won't be sold to him. Congrats, Mark.

We all know it's going to be a Selig-ite, or group of Chicagoans that includes a Selig-ite.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

$1.5 billion for team and stadium?

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Maybe Cuban can get Neifi Perez back.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You take that back! :mad:

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hey Neifi could provide the party supplies after the World Series.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/07/10/bb.preview.cubs/

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Baseball is out of its collective mind if it keeps Cuban out. And yes, add me to the list of Pirates fans pissed at the Nuttings for not putting the team up for sale. At least force Cuban to admit he really didn't want to buy them so he can stop bullshitting.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Big difference -- the Rangers aren't for sale and haven't been for more than 10 years.

Of course, the fan is also an out-of-control clown who does embarrassingly dumb things like suing his former coach for stealing his team's secrets.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Mavericks were a joke when Cuban bought the team. Now they are an extremely profitable and successful franchise. I don't care what goofy crap he has done. I would love it if he was trying to buy the Pirates rather than the Cubs.

Which is worse? A guy who does the things necessary to maximize revenue and win, but sometimes does goofy things or ownership like the Nuttings who couldn't care less if the team wins as long as they can pocket a big chunk of the luxury tax they are supposed to be spending on improving the team.

It's ownership like what the Pirates have now that is an embarrassment, not a guy like Cuban.

Draft saved Draft deleted