1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuban and blogs and the locker-room, Part II

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 13, 2008.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

So if the DMN calls it Mavericks EXTRA, will he then allow them into the locker room? His "policy" is as idiotic as he is (at times; I do find his candor refreshing sometimes).

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I thought Cuban made some really good points in this thing, and it has been a topic of discussion around our office, an interesting discussion.

I don't think the criticism of him criticizing blogs while writing in one is valid. He's referring to what the media does; his blog is simply a personal thing, what blogs are really supposed to be.

He's not right about everything, but he makes a lot of sense here.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, as someone wiht a great interest in this, i think he's right on this one. if you read what he says here, it makes a whole lot of sense...

4. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

so the key to saving newspapers is not calling blogs blogs?

i'm not buying it

5. lantaur

I'd like to think people understand the difference between a newspaper "blog" and Joe Schmoe's (or Mark Cuban's) "blog."

You can market it any way you want ("get the latest Mavs news and analysis in the Mavs blog"), but the fact is that "blog" is now a word which resonates with people and at least give them some understanding that we're not talking stories here, but quick posts, updates, opinion and/or analysis.

The term "blog" has ridden past its initial meaning. You can call it whatever the hell you want I guess, but the theory is still generally the same.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

but there's still the stigma with 'blogs' -- i think there's a better way to do it, and there's a better term. and it may be important in credentialing

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Cuban is dead on here. He's made this point before. He's also made the point that newspapers should be pouring money back into their product, instead of slicing and dicing. He says we're killing ourselves. And he's right.

We've had this discussion around the water cooler before and, as much as many of us find Cuban to be a tad insufferable as an NBA owner, we'd love for him to buy our newspaper.

8. lantaur

If I work for the Dallas Morning News (I don't), I don't think it really matters what you call what I do. What matters is that I work for the Dallas Morning News.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Today maybe you do. But what about in a month? Six months? You might be a stay-at-home blogger sooner than you know.

10. lantaur

If I'm staying at home, then why do I need a credential? ;) :) But that's hardly the point here - this isn't individual bloggers, per se, but about newspapers who blog.

11. So you're arguing that Cuban is doing this because of his profound concern for the intergrity of the NYT -- and DMN -- brand, and to improve the quality of newspaper BLOGS! for us all?
    I choose not to believe that, thanks.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why does this discussion even matter? The DMN's blogger admitted he can do the same job from home during road games. I don't think he should get a credential to blog based on that fact alone. He can do the job without access.

Draft saved Draft deleted