1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuban and blogs and the locker-room, Part II

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 13, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, if we can go four pages on TBL with real conversation, maybe we can do it on the continuation of Mark Cuban's decision to not allow any bloggers in the locker room. He has more to say on his blog today, including the following (addressed to newspapers):

He says if you are a newspaper that has blogs, say the New York Times, you should do everything you can to market them as NOT being blogs. Market them as RealTime Reporting or something like that.

It makes sense to me.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When I was SE, I tried to call them "extra." I don't like the word blogs. Virginia Tech Extra, High School Extra, that kind of thing.
    Of course, the link off the home page to the extras called them "blogs!"
  3. BYH

BYH Active Member

so I guess we shouldn't take Cuban's blog seriously since it's something that anyone with Internet access can replicate in five minutes?

insufferable, hypocritical twit.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

Not at all. That's actually the opposite of what he's saying. He's not at all implying that just because someone can start a blog in five minutes makes it inferior. (Of course, to actually BUILD UP the blog into something take a lot longer than five minutes.) He's saying because anyone can do this, newspapers should take a different tact in branding their blogs if they have them. He argues it devalues the brand of the NYT when they call their reporters' efforts blogs, since anyone can start a blog. It's the effort and resources that goes into the blog that should be pointed out and marketed; hence give them a different name.

Which makes sense to me. When ESPN.com started all their blogs w/Neyer and Gammons and Stark and everyone else, I wondered what was so special about them that made them blogs instead of columns or news articles. That's what ESPN.com is supposed to be all about -- getting insightful writers who can use the ESPN name to get access to things most others can't, then write something you can't find anywhere else. Why are Peter Gammons' articles now blogs instead of articles? An article on ESPN.com carries much more cachet than a blog.

I don't even read those blogs. I like Rob Neyer, but when I think of him blogging on ESPN.com, to me it implies he's just been struck by some thought and decided to write 100 words about it rather than spend time actually writing a fleshed-out article. Most likely my perception is 100% false, but that's what the brand feels like to me.
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Not really. You decide for yourself about the value of an opinion. Everyone has one and 66 percent of humanity is throwing it out there on a BLOG! nowadays. Cuban is just saying that reporting is what distinguishes a news product. Reporting is generally more important than columns for a news enterprise on the Web.
  6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry, guys, but I read this...

...and I wonder why I should take Cuban's blog seriously.

His business is the Mavs. For years now he's exploited his ability and willingness to embrace instant communication as a way to differentiate himself from his rival owners. Yet to read that graph, we're to believe he's not doing anything different than anyone else who has an infant's understanding of the internet.

And this doesn't change the fact this new edict reeks of Cuban getting one up on someone who dared to write something less than glowing about Marky Mark. This isn't about journalistic standards or locker room space. It's about his ego.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Owning a club in the first place is an extension of his ego. You could probably apply that reasoning to every waking second of Cuban's life.
  8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Very true.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

I agree with this 100%. I believe banning the DMN blogger from the locker room has everything to do with Cuban not liking something the DMN blogger wrote. I mean, why not ban bloggers from everything if it's a space issue? There's more space available at courtside or in the stands or wherever the press sits at Mavs games? There's more room in the interview room than in the locker room?

There are more holes in Cuban's argument against giving MacMahon a press pass for the locker room than there are in the ratty old workout clothes the Mavs throw away. Today's post by Cuban makes sense in relation to blogs and branding in general, but as a defense for keeping MacMahon out of the locker room it is all bluster and deflection.
  10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

But the Mavericks aren't a newspaper, and his blog is his own, not a newspaper's.

Cuban's thoughts on the separation of and differences in reporting and blogging, in terms of business branding and success, and his new rule keeping blogs out of the locker room, are two separate issues.

One is a suggestion to newspapers, one that shows considerable thought, intelligence and business sense, and that, frankly, makes the idea of him owning a newspaper instead of a team rather intriguing -- and even appealing -- to me.

The other is a directive, one he's instituting because...well, because he's the owner, and he can. In this case, perhaps we should be glad that he apparently makes such distinctions between newspapers and blogs.
  11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I completely agree. Just because a beat writer, or columnist writes something exclusively for the internt, that doesn't make it a blog.

Blog, short for web log. Log another word for journal.

Sports columnists are not writing journals.
  12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Peter King has about 898,294 words about his dog, his daughter's field hockey team and Starbucks coffee that says you're wrong.
Draft saved Draft deleted