1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuba, U.S. to restore relations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Isn't Cuba better off than North Korea?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure, more money would have poured into Cuba without the embargo.

What makes anyone think it would have benefited the Cuban people at large, as opposed to the Castro brothers, and a small group of associates?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You mean other than common sense?

I mean, you could use that argument to justify anything. "Yeah, I know they had a Category 5 hurricane rip through half the country, but if we provide any aid, only the government cronies will see any of it, so fuck 'em."

I suspect the Saudi government has seen most of our oil money these past few decades. Doesn't seem to matter, does it?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How long before Cuba hands over Joanne Chesimard?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My backpacker son decided to visit Cuba. He stayed in small hotels and basically lived off the local economy. While Castro and his associates most likely got a cut somewhere the money he spent was largely paid out to individuals rather than to the government. Surely these funds he spent helped provide jobs and salaries to the maids and clerks at hotels he stayed in.

Draft saved Draft deleted