1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuba, U.S. to restore relations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Dec 17, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How do the rights of the average Dominican or Jamaican to speak their mind, or practice their religion compare to the average Cuban?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Is there any real opposition to reopening diplomatic relations with Cuba? Seems like it's been pretty widely applauded both inside and outside the country. I certainly don't see the downside.

Here are a couple pics I took during the Orioles' trip in '99:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't really oppose it, because I hope for far better things for the millions of Cubans who are suffering. There are some credible arguments against, but they're not, to my eyes, persuasive.

On the other hand, there's also the risk of "ruining" Cuba. [/doIreallyneedthebluefont]

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...uban-hardship.html?via=mobile&source=facebook

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Nice pics Cran. What was your experience like in Cuba?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fascinating. I went down a day or two early to help inspect fields for playing/safety conditions and I stayed an extra day for a driving tour. I remember the locker rooms/showers being below standards so the players dressed and showered at the hotel. I remember eating breakfast with all of the players already in uniform. We all had to stand on a receiving line to meet Fidel during a post-game reception, too. The architecture in the areas I visited was beautiful but dilapidated for lack of upkeep. I'd love to go back.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

As I said, the overall average standard of living is higher in Cuba than elsewhere in parts of the Caribbean, don't have a link to back it up, just basing it on extensive work in both countries.

The other well known and sadly true joke about Cuba.

Q.What are the 3 greatest accomplishments of the revolution?

Education, Arts, and Health care.

Q. What are the 3 biggest failures?

A. Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper.

7. Iron_chet

Speak their mind, not so much. That being said lots of average Dominicans watch what they say for fear of political reprisals and lots of average Jamaicans watch what they say/do because of crazy gun violence.

Practice of religion is a non issue. See may Santeria priestesses around Havana and a lot more religious liberty after the Papal visit in 98. Don't get me wrong, I would rather live in Jamaica or the DR but there are a lot of misconceptions about life in Cuba.

8. Iron_chet

I have told people to visit before it changes because it is currently an anachronism. It really is different from anywhere else in the Caribbean. Not for a second do I think that Cuba will be "ruined". I wrote this on another forum that I frequent, sums up how I feel.

I get what you are saying here and agree somewhat. I have done a fair amount of work in Cuba from Santiago to Havana and while I agree that some of the charm will be lost, I think this is a win for its people. Overwhelmingly the middle class (by Cuban standards) people I talked to wanted the same thing, opportunities for their kids, a house, a car, things that were not much different than the average 1st world middle class person.

The system that is in place simply is not sustainable, without Russia or Venezuela to pump money into the island the collapse was inevitable. Talk to some Cubans about the collapse of the USSR and see how bad it became in terms of rationing and food shortage when the money dried up, was not a great way to live.
    There is something inherently wrong with a system where a doctor would rather work as a bartender on a resort because it paid more. I knew electrical engineers working as airport reps because of the opportunity to travel and make a few extra bucks.

I do not look forward to seeing the golden arches of McDonalds on the Malecon and Taco Bell signs everywhere. The lack of advertising adds to the island's charm. However I think the improving of relations and hopefully the loosening of more restrictions on the people is going to have a huge benefit for most on the island.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because Castro didn't want it. We've reached out in the past and he's found a way to shoot it down every time.

Much Jesse, Al and their ilk need racial tension to continue to exist in order to keep getting paid, Fidel needed his bogeyman.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was mostly thinking of Russia. It is a country that is no longer Communist but was a great, bad Commie boogeyman for so long.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When we "reach out", it's basically a kiss-our-ass or leave it (or get invaded) proposition. Some people really do find those choices distasteful.

And we wrote the book on needing a bogeyman. Amazing how every tine one disappears another suddenly arises.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Castro has lived to tell unlike many of the other bogeyman

Draft saved Draft deleted