1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CT HS Football Coach Suspended For Violating 50 PT Rule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One problem is many HS football teams, especially in the middle and lower classes, are not playing with 40-50-60-player rosters, they may have 25 in uniform (I've covered a couple this year with fewer than 20).

Which means there's only so much you can do to clear the bench.

Of course, any coach who keeps his starters in the game with all guns blazing when it's already a blowout is a douche and a dumbass. But mainly because of the unnecessary risk he's exposing his OWN players to.

I've also written some game stories with some, shall we say, "very tart observations" about teams tacking on touchdowns late in blowouts.

Let's just say most coaches are frightfully touchy about the term "garbage time."

Most states have running-time rules. In Michigan, if the margin is over 35 after halftime, the clock runs, and runs, and runs. If the game is a real horror show -- the losing team not even putting up a fight -- the refs speed that thing along on a rocket.

And yeah, there have been games where Team B just says "no mas" and heads for the bus.

If you're down 50-0 and the other team is driving down to the goal line, it may be time to pack up the jockstraps and head for the parking lot.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clearly you have lack of understanding of how the game has changed with more high schools moving to spread offenses.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.thehour.com/sports/high-school-football-notebook----stamford-unhappy-with/article_d33df5d7-0ba6-56aa-ab78-25f8e5d481c6.html

"(NFA) was up 49-0 with about four minutes left, and we were backed up to our 10(-yard line)," Hocter said Sunday. "They came after the punt. Maybe it was an error on our part, but they were more aggressive this time, and I know because we punted six times."

According to Hocter, the offending actions did not stop with the Wildcats now over the 50-point limit -- putting NFA head coach Jemal Davis at risk for violation of the "Cochran Rule" established in 2006 to keep teams from running up scores -- as basically the entire starting Wildcat offense came back on the field.

If a coach is found to be in violation of the rule, he will serve a one-game suspension.

"They were running 'jet sweep,' an inside reverse-type play they used to gain big chunks of yardage," Hocter said. "They ran the play a number of times. Then after the game (Davis) didn't shake my hand or look at me. Fans were treating us badly with what they said. I was riled up watching the film. (Davis) wouldn't say anything. No 'sorry' or anything. The guy's got no class, and he's arrogant beyond belief. This will come back to bite him."

Yes. That is exactly the kind of behavior we want out of high school sports.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

we were up by 28 once. it was fourth down for the other team and our defensive coord. didn't sign in a play, so i went ahead and called for a block. i blocked the punt. as i walked to the sideline, the DC began screaming at me because he was so pissed off at me. i thought dude was going to stroke out right there on the sideline, because he thought i knew the game better than to call a punt block up by four touchdowns.

so the question is: did you ever play football?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's a line I'm saving for that column I say I'm gonna write if I retire or get downsized: High school sports is a lot like horse racing ... it all comes down to breeding! Whatever mama and papa may have been doing when they were getting frisky may be more important than what any coach can do (Poin files excepted).

We've got one school in the largest conference we cover that's so bad, it was the homecoming opponent for the three schools in our county the last three weeks, and in the third game, something amazing happened ... it finally scored a touchdown.

Seriously, why not take one from basketball and run the clock in the fourth quarter if the lead's 40 or more?

6. Boom_70

Through a coach friend I was able to watch on HUDL the Stamford game where they beat Norwalk 45- 0. It was 33-0 late in 3rd qtr with Stamford still throwing the ball they scored 2 more td's . One at beginning of the 4th and one with 3 minutes to go on a pass. Ironic that they are now complaining when it happened to them.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You can have a WR play QB or a TE play running back and run simple running plays. Whoever your backup is at the position, have them play the position.

It's a trick a lot of youth basketball coaches will do (have the center play point guard) in blowouts with only a few players on the bench.

8. Boom_70

Yes you can but players out of position also at greater risk of getting hurt.

The big scores are a result of high octane spread offenses and opponents ill prepared to defend them. Top teams can run off 35 points in a quarter which leaves you with 3 quarters to sit on the ball. A passing no huddle offense uses a lot less time than an old school run offense where it was a lot easier not to run up the score by just running dives.

9. Starman

Most kids have no interest or desire in playing positions they are unsuited for in size or skill sets. Centers do not want to play point guard and little guards do not want to post up down low.

Just because the other team sucks ass and in most cases, has laid down and quit, our players have to play positions they hate?

10. Starman

The only intelligent quote in this steaming heap of self-pitying sniveling butthurt.

The way to deal with coaches who RUTS: Get back to the practice field, work your ass off, GET BETTER, and the next time you play him, ram the red-hot poker right back up HIS ass.

Coaches who make a habit of RUTS usually react very badly when the sledgehammer ends up in the other hand.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If the starter at QB goes down, the coach has to have a #2 on the depth chart.

Put in the second stringer.

12. Boom_70

Right then it becomes a question of balancing the fairness to the team that worked hard to get to where they are. Their reward for playing great is to play a quarter of a football game and watch the rest from the bench.

Draft saved Draft deleted