1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CT HS Football Coach Suspended For Violating 50 PT Rule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

LTL I need to understand better where you are coming from. Did you ever play football?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom, are you actually pulling out "You never played the game!" argument?

And LTL is right. Not running up the score isn't a new phenomena. Any coach or team with any degree of self respect would call of the dogs in a 50-0 blowout

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I did through my freshman year of HS.

I do not understand what that has to do with it. Among the people on this thread, I would put money on the fact that ijag didn't play much football and I don't think that disqualifies her from the discussion.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And no coach with ANY degree of self-respect would ever piss and moan about getting the score run up on them -- they would say, "It's our job to play better."

Good coaches, great coaches, HATE whining, alibis, excuses and self-pity. Don't like getting beat? Play better.

5. LongTimeListener

This was interesting. I saw Stamford's conference record and assumed it was a conference game this late in the season. Thanks for clearing it up.

Knowing that, I am sure the difficulty of scheduling future such games if they're going to be dicks played heavily into NFA's decision to suspend the coach without further delay.

6. Boom_70

What is new are spread offenses that can put up 35 points in a quarter. Good teams go 2 or 3 deep with offensive players that can play. If your up 35- 0 at the end of first qtr , at what point do you shut it down?

7. LongTimeListener

That's a great question, Boom. It has no relevance to this situation.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I think Starman is Greg Schiano

9. Boom_70

Sure it does.

Last year Stamford beat the 2 worst teams in their conference 43 -0 and 45 - 0 respectively . This year they beat worst team 45-0. Now that;s calling off the dogs.

10. LongTimeListener

I wouldn't know, but I would guess, that they played second- and third-stringers a healthy dose of time. And they still found a way to keep it under 50.

NFA had its first string in the game in the fourth quarter.

Now I think you're trolling because you can't really be whiffing on these easy details.

11. Boom_70

What do you mean whiffing? is this a competition? I think the scores are relevant in that the Stamford coach is not immune to blowing teams out. Other than the rule, do you think that losing teams feel worse if they lost 51 - 0 or 45 -0? How do you know that the Stamford coach pulled his starters out?

12. LongTimeListener

Call it a hunch.

We do know, however, that the NFA coach did not. And that renders irrelevant your question about what happens if their second-stringers roll it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted