1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CT HS Football Coach Suspended For Violating 50 PT Rule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 23, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Except that based on its scores so far, the winning team is the one that needs to find a new league. The losing team in this case is actually fairly competitive in its overall schedule.

But the powerhouses need games like this to fill the schedule. Which is another reason to play nice.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good grief. That has to go down as the stupidest rule ever. Or at least top five.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This thread is making some strange bedfellows.

4. If we're talking about the wussification of America, the suspended coach is helping things along as he was too cowardly to put in his second and third string.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Couple things here. The two teams don't play in the same conference and are in fact on opposite sides of the state. NFA is usually pretty strong, but I am surprised at Stamford. They play in the toughest conference in the state (FCIAC) and was surprised they got blown out. No idea why they wee playing in week five, non-conference games are usually played in first half of schedule.

I would assume they are same size-Class LL, but I could be wrong on that.

The Cochrane Rule has been in place for several years. If I am on a team that is getting shut out in the fourth quarter, you better believe I am trying to score. It's also not that hard to pull your starters, run the ball and to shorten the game in the second half.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No chit. But that's neither here nor there as regards this discussion. We're talking about a coach being a dickhead. That is really all there is to it.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by a "right".

Up here (and maybe down there), if you want to play hs football, you're on the team, no matter what your skill level is. So I guess you could say it's a right.

My son GR who played five years of Canadian university football is the DC of his former high school football team. They practice every day at 3:00 and as he says, "Some kids can't play and some of them are scared to play. But they want to be on the team. The 3rd stringers know they'll only get in if our team is wiping out the opponent". There are about 50 kids on the varsity squad.

Fortunately, they win regularly and every kid gets something out of it, mostly about being part of a team.

For some of them, that's all that matters.

That said, the same is not true of the hockey or baseball teams. You have to try out for a spot on those teams.

And since both those sports are more difficult that than football, no one has a problem with it.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly, Stamford plays in the toughest conference in CT. Last year they were 7 -2.It's not known as a weak program. I think the coach was embarrassed by the blowout and was trying to save face. Based on this pre season quote he was expecting big things:

"I don't want to take a step back in 2012," Hocter said. "We've proved we can win. We've proved we can beat powerhouse teams But we aren't satisfied."

Interesting to note that the last 7 points came as a result of a punt block. I've watched the clip and Norwich did not have a punt block on. it was just a lazy RT not blocking and his man blew by him and blocked the punt and recovered the ball in the end zone.

9. LongTimeListener

If a team is punting down by six-plus touchdowns late in the fourth quarter, there's no reason for anybody to be rushing the punter. If this is an example of "everybody gets a trophy" or the wussification of America, find a coach from 50 years ago who had his team going after the punter when he's up close to 50 points.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If you are a lineman on the punt return team, your job is to rush the punter whether or not the "punt block" is on. Hell, you might be a SECOND-STRING punt return lineman.

If the lineman opposite you just stands there and quits, do you have to stand there and quit too?

You know what one phenomenon the huge huge majority of all these blowout games have in common? The losing teams quit. Lie down like dogs.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Based on the clip clearly a punt block was not on. It was one player who broke through. I doubt that he was thinking about the 50 pt rule.

12. LongTimeListener

Watch an NFL or college game. If they are punting in that situation, nobody rushes.

This is getting ridiculous. We are talking about this whole "damn kids have gotten soft" but the truth is these are the customs that have been in the game for more than 50 years. I guess those coaches who called off the dogs back then were all big wusses too and their players weren't as tough as we're making them sound now.

Draft saved Draft deleted