1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crystal River, Fla.: Sports editor for Citrus County Chronicle daily

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Central-KY-Kid, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sometimes I wonder if certain companies aren't required to post openings, regardless of whether they are actually looking or know darn well who they are hiring. I know that was the rule when I worked in athletics at a state university years ago.

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about this particular situation, but ...

I don't know why Drip automatically assumes it's underhanded when a paper makes a quick hire. Often, a strong candidate emerges early and you move through the process quickly. If no one better emerges before the deadline, you make an offer. Even if it turns out to be an internal hire, it's quite possible they opened it up and didn't get any applicants who were stronger than the internal applicant.

I don't know if you're working at a daily newspaper right now, but most of them are working with skeleton crews and can't afford to go with unfilled positions very long. It's imperative to move quickly in filling a position, especially when it's a department head.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't assume anything. I don't know the particulars about this job but I do know an offer has been made and that it was made BEFORE the application deadline. You can call it what you want but those are the facts.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Last time I made a hire at a small paper I had a pretty good idea who was going to get the job before the ad was posted, but ...

1.) it was corporate policy to post a job ad

2.) One of the applicants may have gotten the job.

We had an excellent candidate with local ties who had made it clear he'd be interested in an opening when we had one. But if one of the people responding to the ad had been clearly a better fit, he would have gotten the job. Also, this is an ad for a small paper, which means if they are down a sports editor people are pulling double or triple duty and racking up overtime (either paid or unpaid). That's a damn good reason to act fast if you find somebody worth hiring.

5. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Why do companies play these games?

That's not a fact. That's an assumption.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Unpaid overtime? What is this you speak of?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Like Jake_Taylor said, papers of this size don't always have the luxury of being deliberate. The application date could have been somewhat arbitrary -- the last Friday before Thanksgiving -- and when they found who they wanted, they moved. Not sure this situation deserves the full Drip treatment.

Draft saved Draft deleted