1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crystal Mangum gets her degree from NCCU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 16, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And boy, does this columnist let her have it.

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2008/05/15/Columns/Summa.Cum.Loony-3371900.shtml

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

The smug superiority just leaps off the screen.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Was any attempt made to get something from NCCU? Columnists should have strong opinions and she does. Do they not also have to be fair?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, if she wants to rant and rave about what a see you next Tuesday Crystal is, I guess that's her right.

but yeah, that was really not good, at all. We get it. You were wronged and now a whole nation uses you as a punchline for something other than your eminently dislikable men's basketball team.

Except, of course, YOU yourself weren't actually wronged. I doubt anyone's going to look at her resume and go "Duke '08? She went to school with rapists! Circular file!"

And if your precious stupid lacrosse players weren't arrogant and stupid enough to hire strippers to show up at their house, well then none of this ever happens, does it?

Just reeks of I can kick someone while she's down and get high fives at the sorority house.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I agree with your entire post, except the bolded portion. I mean, c'mon. If you can't hire strippers to come to your house, who can you hire? Even the Ghostbusters aren't for hire anymore.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tough shit for Crystal Gail Mangum. You reap what you sow.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Simple equation: Enough credits = degree.

8. Young columnist, pitching for her own talk-radio show.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

From the very first sentence.

Although she does raise a valid point about the lack of consequences to Mangum: never charged with anything, never suspended from school, no formal punitive action taken by authorities whatsoever (as far as I know). It's a bit alarming that you can falsely accuse others of rape with blatant lies with no formal consequences.

Now if this columnist could've just made that point in a less smug, elitist, Dukie manner.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not quite that simple if the school had an honor code that entitled it to suspend or boot students for legal/moral misconduct. It's a valid question why it was not invoked in this case. I'm guessin they've done it to others for less in the past--something this columnist might've taken the time to look into if she wanted to do a piece with a bit more depth and substance.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did Jesse Jackson still pay for the whore's tuition?

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

She writes with amazed tone of someone who has never set a toe inside a public school in her life. Yeah, lets make sure that criminals who served their time and people of questionable character never have access to higher education. I'm sure that will do wonders for the recidivism rate.

Draft saved Draft deleted