1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CRV vs. RAV4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jan 22, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've noted this on a couple other threads. I pulled out of a dealer on Aug. 31, 1999 with a new RAV4. It may be the best auto purchase I've ever made.

The thing still drives as smooth as the day I drove it off the lot. It's been absolutely great on maintenance with one exception. Three years ago a problem with 5th gear developed in that it would pop out of gear. Because I put a ton of miles on it, it no longer was under warranty, although I was really pissed because I found out that Toyota put out a service bulletin to its dealers (but not owners) on the problem in 2001, long before it would have been out of warranty.

That being said, mine now has 173,000 miles on it and it still driving great. And it's been amazing on tires, too. I'm still on just the second set of tires. I got 89,600 miles out of the first set and now have nearly 84,000 miles on the second set. I wouldn't have had to replace the first set if it weren't the start of winter.

Other than the 5th gear thing it has been the perfect machine.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm going to go back and demo the RAV 4 again on Wednesday.

That black mark in CR on the '05 CRV drive train is a concern. The factory warranty, if in fact it covers the drive train, is some peace of mind, but I'm not sure it's enough.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I might take you up on that.

I'm not sure I can make a bad choice here, as long as the price is in my range, but the RAV 4 seems to get better reviews from SportsJournalists.com Nation.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The 2002 engine isn't turbocharged.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Keep in mind the 2007 RAV4 is very different than the 2005. In 2006 it got a complete redo, and became significantly larger.

6. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I've got an 02 RAV off of a lease. Never have I brought it in to be fixed since I got it in 04, but I did recently get a recall because the engine light tends to blink on and off even though nothing is wrong with the engine. It drives great, I get about 25 miles to the gallon and best yet, it's mine in a year! I was told the CRV drives more like a car and the RAV does drive like a truck, because it is one. If you can get over the fact that it's not going to drive like a Camry, then I totally suggest the Rav. And I also prefer the pre-06 models, the new one just doesn't do it for me.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I don't have a problem with an SUV that drives like a truck. I'm gonna call it a truck either way.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I came within a hair of buying a CRV last year. Honda recently redesigned it, moved the tire from the back to under the car and actually gave you more legroom inside while shortening the length of the car. there was plenty of room in the back (which I need for my side job) and received an excellent rating by CR. Loved it on the test drive, but just couldn't get up enough of a down payment for the model I wanted. The car came out to about $28k. I refuse to pay for a car for more than 3-years.

9. longgone

longgone Member

I have a 1995 RAV4 which I'm still driving. Has 290,000 miles -- shooting for the magic 300,000. Haven't had the first problem with it. I'll be buying another one when it eventually decides to go to that carlot in the sky.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've known people with both kinds. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Are you going to a dealer so you can get financing? Because if you are doing a cash deal, I'd say look at craigslist first, you would get better prices from people trying to dump their cars and get lower miles probably. (I've sold 4 cars on craigslist and just bought one that way.)

12. chester

chester Member

Over a year ago, we looked at both. We ended up going with the CRV, and I have to say I can't complain one bit about it. Haven't had any real trouble to speak of, and it drives real well. I would have been fine with the RAV4, to be honest, but I think we got some sort of deal on the CRV.

Draft saved Draft deleted